SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Wolf AG and BlueStar --observations from trip to the store

sayde
14 years ago

So many people --Trevor, Rococogurl, MovaJean, and others -- have shared their thoughts. Thank you.

Just returned from a trip to an appliance store in another city that had both WolfAG and BlueStar RNB live, so finally, I have had a chance to see for myself and wanted to document and give back some information to this forum.

The Wolf AG was very nice looking. The fit and finish was very good, but I was surprised nonetheless to see that the edges of the pullout tray were somewhat sharp. Elsewhere it was exemplary. The burners have the little sparkers but they are covered over and dark in color so you just don't see them as you do on the BS. The actual burner was beautifully crafted. The surprise for me was seeing that the open burners were actually nearly closed. The grates sit on a black porcelain surface that spans from the front to back of the range. The circular opening nearly hugs the brass burner assembly. If you have any spills, unless it is a gushing wet boilover, not very much will likely seep down through that opening to the tray below. Before today's trip, I had thought that the burners were more truly open with individual bowls, so it was worth the trip just to see this because cleanability is way up there on my priority list and I want an open burner. The AG was sitting next to a DF and there was not a lot of difference in the way the burners were designed, or so it seemed to me. From the perspective of cleaning I think the Wolf AG would be very similar to having a sealed burner range.

The BS had some sharp steel edges on the edge of the stove near the bottom. When you lift off the grates and the pans, you see screws and sharp metal. (This is well inside the stove). The white sparkers appear more fragile in photos than they do in real life -- they're solid and tightly fastened in there. If they were dark in color instead of white they would not be so vulnerable looking-- but may-be then people would be less mindful about not damaging them. So, as they say, "feature it."

Overall the BS was quite nice. The heavy individual grates and bowls, the look and feel of the stove were very much to our liking.

I will not comment on the actual flame pattern because this has been more than adequately covered elsewhere and I don't think I can add anything new.

The Wolf knobs are incised, it's true, and they are high density plastic. The BS knobs are silkscreened, it's true -- and they are metal.

FWIW in response to questions about whether the door gets hot -- or hotter on one brand than the other -- the appliance salesperson says that both brands must adhere to regulations that the door cannot get so hot that you cannot touch it. So I do not really feel like I got a good answer to the question.

Blue Star comes standard with one rolling oven rack and two regular ones, and you can buy additional roller racks. Wolf comes with three regular racks and you can buy one or more roller racks or additional regular ones. The Wolf racks are a little more elegant in their design.

The Wolf door has nice dampening. The Blue Star door simply has stops but no dampening. The Wolf pullout tray has roller bearings; the BS tray does not.

The BS has a wider steel horizontal surface in front of the burners-- it seemed a handy surface to me, to put down a spoon -- but it also seemed very susceptible to scratching and the stove in the store was already a little scratched.

The BS I saw was a 36" and the Wolf was a 30" so I could not do a real apples to apples comparison on the oven size, but these have been documented elsewhere.

The sales person says that Blue Star is outselling Wolf AG at this location, and the conjecture is that the main reason is price.

I have tried to be neutral in presenting these observations, but you can probably guess what I'm going to buy.

Again, thanks everyone for sharing information.

Comments (3)