SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Hallway haters - help me understand

DLM2000-GW
10 years ago

There's a recurring theme I see in comments about floor plans that contain hallways - that the plans should be reworked, the hallways eliminated or minimized, hallways are a waste, too expensive, should be avoided......

Why is transition space from one area to another such a bad thing? Assuming it's not a long tunnel, I like having a way to move through a house without having to walk through rooms all the time. We currently live in an old (1934) center entrance colonial that does not have a center hall so from the front door the only way to the kitchen is through either the living room or dining room - difficult for furniture placement and for keeping things clean.

One of the house plans my husband and I like the most is a split br plan ranch with a true foyer and a long hall running the width of the house (with several large openings, not a tunnel) that allows you to travel the entire house without being *in* a room. And that's one of the things we like most about it!! But I do listen to all of you and have enormous respect for your experience and opinions so I look at that plan (or others) and hear your voices about the 'evil' hallways ;-)

So please help me understand why they're so universally disliked here and how not having hallways in a house is better.

Deb

Comments (20)