SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alynnd_gw

White Quartzite mark/stain/flaw???

AlynnD
11 years ago

We are on the tail end of a master bath renovation of our 1950's home. The quartzite countertops were installed last week. I do not know what the quartzite is called, but it's white with light gray veins. It's beautiful. Here is my question/problem: There is a small black mark that is driving me nuts. I originally thought it was maybe a wax pencil mark (thought maybe they used it to mark the stone before cutting it??) but I couldn't scrape it off with my finger nail. It looks like I dropped the mascara wand on the counter top. Needless to say it is bothering me. Two things keep running through my head- one being that if it is a flaw/impurity of the stone, why on earth would they use that end of the slab as it is literally on the far end and edge and I have a 6' remnant left, and two, if it is a stain did they seal it in? What if they can't get it out? I'd almost rather have a dent in the stone than an obvious black mark. I will post pictures, but you can tell it doesn't follow the same lines of the veining. I just wanted an opinion on if you think it is a stain vs. a flaw and how you would handle the situation. I'm going to call the stone people today. There are other areas that look like they have some kind of resin/clear caulk/epoxy that I want them to clean up. (not happy about that either!) and I should note that on the cut edges there is more of the black marks that look like colored pencil lines and orange ones as well. Certainly not as noticeable, it just makes me think that they didn't do a good job cleaning up!

Comments (8)