SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donmei

22 Kbtu Bluestar vs Induction by Diva

donmei
17 years ago

We've had our Bluestar 36" rangetop for a few months now and we are really loving it.

I have had one small issue with it but was able to resolve it myself. the unit is so basic and simple. I couldn't imagine needing any help with it ever, excpet maybe with the ignitor system. Other than that its just black pipe, some burners, and some valves.

Anyway, we've been very pleased with the rangetop. Very powerful, and also gentle. The 15kbtu burners are great for soups. At the low setting their broad heat is easy on everything inside.

So it was with great anticipation that our cabinetmaker finally delivered our kitchen island to us. I'm a handy type so I set up the (Diva)induction cooktop and started playing iwth it.

I got out one of my small allclad pots (purchased at TJMaxx when I was in college for $14) and put a cup of water in it for some tea. Cranked it to 12. (It goes to eleven - spinal tap) and waited. I didnt wait long, in about 45 seconds the water was hot enough to make me a nice cup of tea. Holy #$$!!!!

Surely, it cant be faster than my fabled bluestar. So I selected 2 pots. Both designed to be the best possible for each range. The pot for the bluestar was an old 100% aluminum analon pro pot. It had a broad surface for soaking up the gas heat.

The induction pot was an all clad dutch oven.

Into each went 1 quart of the same temp water. (to equalize any difference in temp between 1st and last, I let the water run, then put the 1st and 4th cup into one pot and 2nd and 3rd into the other)

I cranked them both up at the same time with the help of my wife. The results, both took just a few minutes. (sorry I didnt time it) But the induction had the water boiling roughly a minute before the gas. WOW!!. And while the handles on the pot on the gas range were VERY hot, the handles on the allclad on the induction were cool to the touch.

My wife who wanted to do all induction, smirked at me. Well, you can't really saute on induction, you know all that banging pans around. Theres something visceral (sp?) about cooking on gas.

Then I started playing and found that on 2 of 12, the induction would keep food warm, gently and evenly for hours.

So . . what have I learned. I still prefer to cook on gas. But if you want sheer power, you cant beat induction, also if you want total gentleness (my wife can melt chocolate without a double boiler on the induction cooktop) you also cant beet induction.

But for all that stuff in the middle, the really creative stuff, you cant beat gas.

Right now, my only regret is that the induction is in the island. This was done to create an unobtrusive, safe 2nd cooking area. If I were to do things over, I'd get a 30 inch bluestar and put a 2 burner induction right next to it. Truly the best of both worlds.

Don

Comments (16)