SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juline17

Starting from scratch -new house design

juline17
10 years ago

I'm starting a new thread since we're starting over again in the house design process anyway. Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to this point!!!

To summarize the last thread; designing an acreage house on the Saskatchewan prairie with two little girls and frequent overnight guests.
The previous plan (see link below) was unique, but had some (major?) layout issues. However, my main concern was the cost to build it was nearly twice my budget. So, back to the drawing board.

I found this plan online and liked the idea:
{{gwi:1410893}}

With that in mind, we sat down last night and came up with a revised plan (actually, I threw in the towel at 1am, but woke up to this...) It is nearly 2100 sq.ft (600 less than the old plan), and even to my untrained eye, looks less expensive to build.

Side elevation / front elevation

First floor:

Second floor:

Please keep in mind that this is a first draft. I do see some structural issues, like the beam that has to support the upstairs bathroom running across the vaulted area.

To give you an idea about orientations; the right side of the layout is towards the north, and although not the most aesthetically pleasing, the garage is front loading to avoid the nasty NW dominant wintertime winds. The amount of windows on the north side is also minimized. The south-east facing deck will be towards a small lake (more like a slough, really), and I plan on designing the southern overhangs to block the sun in the summer, while maximizing the wintertime sun (except for the screened deck I suppose).

The mudroom was placed near the main entrance for easy outside access, and there will be a door to close the mess whenever we have visitors.

As for the kitchen, I'll post for some layout help in the kitchen forum as well.

Thank again for all the input I've received so far! You are amazing and have already prevented sooo many mistakes in our build. Please keep it coming!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread with old house design.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH