SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Seasonal Poster Change

oldalgebra
14 years ago

The first 15 years of my 38-year teaching career was spent teaching first grade. When I started, the small paperback books called pre-primers were still being used to teach reading to first graders. And the large BIG BOOKS (large poster-sized books that mimic the individual beginning readers) were still sold to school districts so that teachers could use them for large group reading instruction.

So when I saw one of the Big Book pages from the old Dick and Jane series framed and hanging in an antique shop, I visited it for months and months until it was offered at a more reasonable price. This is the page I originally purchased (page 4 from one of the original books) and it started me on a little quest that has lasted for more than 5 years thus far. The page/poster went very well with all the colors in the room, but it didn't seem quite right hanging on the wall during the spring and summer months.

{{gwi:1407193}}

So I searched eBay and found another page (page 21). I hang it during the warmer months.

{{gwi:1407195}}

Then I came across a December page from a calendar that the Dick and Jane publishers (Scott Foresman) used to give away to teachers. I added some text and had it enlarged. It hangs in the "poster spot" during the month of December.

{{gwi:1407197}}

Next, I enlarged a page from the first grade reader (Fun with Dick and Jane). It hangs during Southern California's rainy season (which is going on right now, as you may have heard).

{{gwi:1407198}}.{{gwi:1407199}}

And now, you see my latest poster, another page from the reader, which I have modified by changing the paper cutouts to hearts and changing the text. It will hang for a few weeks during February.

{{gwi:1407200}}

After reading Jeanne's Baby Doll Post about how she changes a little here and there depending on the current holiday, I thought I might share.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions