SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plaidthumb

questionable brakes after new cylinders

plaidthumb
18 years ago

'81 Eagle sx4. Rear section of master cylinder had leaked down to empty, rear wheel cylinders apparently froze as they were. obvious trail of where fluid had leaked from the master cylinder.

Replaced the master w/new one, bench bleeding it before installation. Replaced both rear wheel cylinders. Retained shoes as were good shape due to lack of use...Bled system starting at passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front.

Car stops much better--it actually stops--, no fade one way or other, no pulling. Good solid pedal, no sponginess, doesn't sink to the floor. Unfortunately, it just doesn't feel right. When I stomp down hard, it just doesn't seem to pull the car down like it should--it's just sorta lackadasical about it. None of the wheels will lock up under braking. The rear wheel will lock up with the parking brake just fine. The front pads are fine.

As my daughter will be driving this as her first car, I would really like to have the brakes at their best. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals