SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

Any experience with Kodiak Steel Homes?

sunnny
14 years ago

After nearly 8 months of searching and not finding anything in our very limited rural area we are heavily leaning towards this company. We came to this decision after MUCH heartache and stress. Some of you will remember we found a house we loved and it was in flood zone A and the home owners have filed a LOMA but with the rains we've had here in Texas the creek has had over 4 feet of water in it flooding the side 10 acres totally. It's just too much for us even with flood insurance. We feel certain the house won't flood because it's 12 feet above the river and the road would be 6 feet under water but when I saw the amount of water there, rushing towards the creek it was very overwhelming and I think of my kids wanting to play outside and the danger it poses and the snakes, etc. So last month we found a metal home we liked and it didn't pass inspection because it was built like a pole barn with the supports INTO the ground and the slab poured around the support posts. There was already some damage to those posts and it would cost a fortune to repair and replace each one but we like the design so much we found Kodiac Steel homes. We've been very impressed with the so far, have gotten references from 4 ppl who have used them and they LOVE their homes. I've talked to several builders who build only Kodiak or several types of steel homes and they say it is by far the best of any out there. The customer service has been amazing! The best of any business I've dealt with in any way in a long time.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this company or with building/living in a steel home. Our insurance costs would be lower due to several factors such as: it can't burn, only the content inside, can withstand 140 mph winds which in Texas would be a GOOD thing and no termintes, etc. We would use an energy expert to help build it as energy efficient as possible as well as I've read about steel and how it conducts heat but if built properly that is not an issue.

Does anyone have photos of exteriors and interiors I could see? The company is having an open house this weekend where which allow us see one being built, and tour already completed homes in the area.

I understand many people will feel it's unconventional to build this way but we feel this is the solution we've been looking for all these months.

Sunny

Comments (33)