SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

China patterns

luvstocraft
17 years ago

I wanted to post pics of my china patterns in hopes all of you could give me ideas on what to use with them to get that "special" look.

One is a set of 12 including serving pieces that DH ordered from the PX when he was stationed in Thailand. The edge is silver, and the rose is a beige/gold with grey/green leaves. It is Sango and the pattern is Debutante. The background is white.

The other one is a set of 8 and had belonged to DH's Grandmother. One the back it says Theodore Haviland New York, made in America, and the pattern is Apple Blossom. I love the soft pink flowers and leaves. The rim is gold, background is ivory.

Would love any and all input on what to use with them. I was thinking of using the Apple Blossom ones for Easter this year.

Thanks, Luvs

Comments (9)

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, Both sets of your china are just beautiful and the Apple Blossom will be perfect for Easter. Are you thinking of using other pattern pieces to mix and match? Do you already have the stemware you will use with each set?

Sandi

• judithva
    17 years ago

I really like both of them, but if I had to pick, my fav is the second pic.
    The design is very soft, sweet, romantic and the flowers definately say Spring/easter.

Do you have any glass or crystal candle sticks? You could also use Hurricanes if you wanted to "layer" your set of candlesticks.
    You could also have glass/crystal voltive candle holders scattered thru the table, in either clear glass or pink if you can find it. You could do a pink table cloth and layer it with either a lace one or crocet (spelling) over it, so the pink is peeking out, just like in one of the inspiration pics I posted.
    If you have any pink glasses, use one of those at the place settings with a clear plain or cut glass.
    If you want some "flash", you can go to Michaels and buy the large round mirrors and use them as placematts (thats where I got mine, they were in the candle section.
    Mostly, just keep your color theme in mind, the pinks, whites etc. A potted ivy plant in a nice container would look very pretty as a centerpiece, I love ivy with almost anything, it always looks so romantic. You could even run some thin pink ribbon in and out of the ivy just to add a bit of the color scheme in it.
    Oh yes, if you could find a pretty crystal or glass bowl and small plate, that would look good too, layered on the dinner dishes. Put either the bowl or the flat small glass plate on top of the dinner plate, cut glass would be most pretty, it will still allow the pattern to show thru, just like the place setting I did for Christmas that I had posted earlier in one of the threads. The glass or crystal would be very versitile because it goes with alot.
    Well, I'll let the rest of you come up with some more ideas, cause all of you are very talented, and I hope to get good ideas from you too.

• Related Discussions

Can you identify this Limoges France china pattern?

Q

Comments (3)
    Check Replacements ->Limoges->Raynaud->RYD58 There are several pieces of china with the same floral bouquet, but with different trims. The R&Co stands for Raynaud, and possibly dates to the 1920's and 1930's. Here is a link that might be useful: Replacement Limoges Plate
    ...See More

Noritake China Pattern?

Q

Comments (1)
    If you know that it's Noritake, then there must be something under one of the pieces probably with the pattern number. Pls check and, if so, post a pic pls. Otherwise, go to Replacements and check through their pattern numbers/pictures for Noritake and see if you can find your pattern. Here is a link that might be useful: Link for Noritake - Good luck!
    ...See More

Need help with coordinating china pattern

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi octoberdana! I have this set too, so no need for pics :) I already had a bunch of white serving dishes from the Pfaltzgraff Filigree line and they go really well. It is a lot of white but once you put the tablecloth, runners, place mats, centerpieces, etc., on the table the white dishes look really nice. If you don't do a lot of other stuff on the table you can really pick any color since the platinum will go with anything. Grey is really popular now but it might make the food look a little blah. Food almost always looks yummy in red. You might also try an eggplant color. The food would look good in it and the deep purple color would look really nice against the white/platinum of the china. I would steer clear of yellow, gold, and orange tones though as they may clash with the china. At the end of the day though, the right choice is really whatever makes you happy! Good luck!
    ...See More

Help Me Find the Name of a China Pattern

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm usually pretty good at searching, but I couldn't figure this one out. I could have sworn that I went through all of Replacements' fruit china.
    ...See More
  • luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandi, I loved your new glassware. The "bubbles" in it really made is sparkle. I have been looking for colored glassware when I have been out lately. So far, no red or pink ones. Wanted the red for Valentine's and Christmas, and the pink for other occassions--and just because I love pink! LOL

Judith, I would never have thought of mirrors! I've got to go back and look closer at the pics you've posted, obviously I am enjoying the beauty of them and missing some of the "details". I did think that I should probably look for chargers or even larger ivory plates to go under these plates. I love all the pics you have posted, and especially like the "layered" look of the plates.

I have several lace tablecloths, but need to get a couple solid color ones too. I have several glass/crystal candle sticks--will try to incorporate them. And I picked up a few more bunny pieces today.

Took some tennis shoes I had purchased on a whim (didn't take time to try them on) back to Ross today, and they gave me a store credit--so I looked around and ended up using it for decorating items. I haven't taken any pics yet, but I will post them soon. Hoping to incorporate at least one of them in my Easter tablesetting.

I like the idea of crystal plates. I have some that are curved with roses in them, but they are probably too big. Will have to look for small B&B's before Easter.

Thanks to both of you for your ideas.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, Target, TJ & Home Goods had some very pretty pink stemware, but I think the ones at Home Goods might be a little too dark of a pink.

I agree with Judith about clear glass B&Bs. They will look beautiful. I also think if you look around enough you just might find a patterned china B&B that will work.

I missed the mirror placemats in Judith's pics also so shall have to go back and look again. Please remember to show us what you come up with.

• judithva
    17 years ago

luvs, I am putting the pictures in the thread that has some of the ideas I had stated above, I had put these in a different post, but so you don't have to look for them, here they are:
    MAGAZINE PHOTO
    {{gwi:1405789}}
    Photo from my table. The bowl came from Lenox Outlet, but you can use even inexpensive glass bowls, I think Walmart has some glass bowls that have some "glass designs" in them that might work well.

Our Target has some pink stemware in the store right now, you might want to check there.

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

Luvs, I know your table is going to be beautiful when you get it all done. I can't wait to see photos of it. I have a friend that inherited a set of Apple Blossom china from her grandmother and it's a really beautiful pattern.

Judith, seeing the photo again reminded me...in another thread, wasn't someone looking for beaded placemats? I was searching ebay last night for some pink placemats, and saw some beaded ones. They were a hot pink color, but the seller might have other colors available. I can't remember who was looking for them though.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, Judith, you are so sweet to repost these pics for me. I totally missed the pink peeking through that tablecloth! Guess I was so engrossed with that beautiful china and stemware--and the napkin really caught my attention too. Don't you just love the way the edge of that china looks ruffly? And those pink roses--just looove them.

I do have some clear bowls that are about the same shape as yours--mine are more plain, but should work fine.

Your silver charger is so gorgeous--love the edges of it. I'm keeping my eyes open for chargers or things that can be used like chargers. I can tell this will be an ongoing project for awhile. Was sort of thinking that even a larger plate (or charger) in a soft green might work with my china. Or the gold chargers for one and silver ones for the other. Might settle for plain ones for now, and keep my eyes peeled for fancier ones.

Funny, I had never even paid attention to the fact that one set of my china had silver on the rims and the other had gold. Not very observant am I? LOL

Sandi, I think I will go to the Target a little further from my house. It is newer and just seems to carry more variety than the one closer to me. I looked at all the glassware at the closer one last week and didn't see any colored stemware. Wish me luck.

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, both designs are very pretty, but I especially love the Haviland china for the simple reason that's it's pink! It just HAS to be my favorite! I have a couple of Theodore Haviland Limoge plates that I display at the back of my kitchen hutch that are probably the same thing, and have always loved them too.

I just wanted to tell you that if you look on Target's website, they have pink glasses that you can order in three different styles~I believe it's the highball,water, and stemmed goblet@6/$39. Just a back-up for you if you can't get the pink ones in the store.

I was at Michael's just last night and saw the mirror's Judith was talking about~they would sure add sparkle, especially with candles, too. I have also seen cut glass plates with a slight lip that would work at thrift stores~thy wouldn't all have to be identical. I found cut glass bowls like the ones Judith has at my Big Lots, but when it was Pic 'n Save. Right now they happen to have a lot of cut glass items, so you might want to go take a look. My thrift stores always seem to have a lot also~salt/pepper shakers?? Sugar bowl/creamer? I've been buying it for years, and have amassed a small collection.

I like Judith's idea of the ivy, but you could always use pots(probably 3 because they're small)of minature pink roses. You can find them in the garden department section at Home Depot or maybe Target. If you can find a white container that hold's all three pots, that would be ideal. Fill in any 'holes' with moss. Another idea would be to use wire ribbon to cover each pot~just wrap it around and top off with a pretty bow, and set on the table. Then you could plant them out in the yard. LOL

Judith, just had to ask~are those chargers pictured, plastic? I saw something similiar at my party store in silver and gold, and thought about buying them to have on hand. I got to thinking, underneath a plate, *would* it matter. They were in the wedding/anniversary section and came in gold and silver. Is plastic a big no-no in a charger?

I'm new at this, so when I offer suggestions they're just the first thing that come off the top of my head since I have no experience in setting tables as beautiful as Judith's. With her as out guide, I think it will come with time and experience~we can only hope!

Luvs, you have a great start by having the beautiful dishes already. ;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your help Pattycakes. I've had those dishes for a long long time, but seem to only use them a couple times a year. Just thought that now that we are trying to set our tables more special for holidays and other occassions, I should take a closer look at them and have all of you help me figure out ways to use them.

Thanks for the website info--I just may do that if I don't have any luck elsewhere.

I will look for the mirrors next time I am in Michaels. Were they in the candle section at your store?

The miniture roses are a good idea too. Like the fact that I could plant them afterwards, and you all know I love roses.

I like to check out the TS to find items I can paint. I buy allot of the metal trays, and sometimes find wooden items i can sand down and repaint. Then I had been visiting the Garden Junk forum on here, and started making glass totems to go out in my flower beds, so I was searching for vases, bud vases, candle holders, etc at the TS to make those. Now I will just broaden my search and check out the plates more closely when I go. Never know what you miight find. Did you see the plate pics I posted of the ones I found to use in vignettes? It was really fun trying to think what I might use them with.

Now it sounds like I need to check out the party stores too! I haven't "shopped" this much in years! LOL

Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions