SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

mixed question - tires and SUV

funkill
18 years ago

I was all ready to post a question about getting new tires for my SUV .... I started first by doing a search on "tires" ... saw a post about "why would anyone want an SUV or truck over a car" and got sidetracked .... Thus, this now, mixed, two part question ....

Part 1: Need a new tire on my SUV (one is 75% more worn than the others - the "driving" rear wheel?). Bought this BEAST (04 Nissan Armada) used last year. Impulse purchase. Came with 20" custom wheels and Vogue tires. The Beast has always seemed to easily hydroplane and am hoping a new set of tires will help. Stopped at local tire shop and got my next cash surprise $$$$ Ka-ching --- only two brands available locally, least costly are the Coopers at $180 ea. Anyone have any suggestions for tires? Seems the selection is somewhat limited due to size (oh - current Vogues are 305/50 R20). I never heard of Vogues and assuemed they're some cheapo tire.... but after todays web search, guess they're highly prized by some ...

Part 2: This Impulse purchase is killing me in the dept department. Additionally, I've recently decided that, if I ever want to get into med school, I'm going to have to quit my 15+ yr engineering job to finish up my last few pre-requisite requirements. This mean, I'm going to need to make heavy reductions - especially in the debt department. I tried to unload The Beast recently, and found that I'm so upside down that it's nearly impossible to go to a 10K vehicle w/o a substantial up-front cash contribution. After reading the "why own a SUV" post, I'm thinking that I really do need to reconsider my choice of vehicle. My only requirement is that a vehicle be safe (both in personal protection and reliability), be able to transport two large dog crates (inside), and reduce my debt. I'm open to suggestions on another suitable vehicle. I keep going back to the Nissan Xterra and even PT Cruiser ... but can't seem to overcome the cost-difference barrier..... And, if I do trade-in, what do I do about the single bad tire on The Beast (showing cords - it's that bad)?

Sorry for the unbelievably long post, but that other discussion about SUV necessity sort of "moved" me ....

Comments (4)

Sponsored