SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oaklandzev

Ventilation: 36' vs 42' for 36' range top

oaklandzev
14 years ago

We are planning a kitchen remodel, and have chosen our rangetop: Wolf open burner rangetop, 36", 6 burners RT366

Our current kitchen has Kenmore (junk) range and hood. The hood has no CFM in any documents, and is totally useless, and extremely noisy. My wife refuses to use it due to the noise.

I'm so sick of finding grease on wine glasses inside a cabinet on the extreme opposite end of the kitchen. We make lots of soups and other liquid dishes that generate a lot of steam, and we fry a lot as well. So I want to ensure that what I get next will be really quiet and effective. It will get new ducting because the rangetop will be in a different location from the current range.

What I spec'd out below is 42" wide, 27" deep:

Wolf PRO 27" (686) DEEP WALL HOOD # PW422718

Wolf 801642 1200 CFM remote blower

Fantech LD 10 Silencer For Round Duct

A 42" with 1200 CFM should theoretically do a great job on low for most stuff, and be quieter than our current unit's medium when it's on high, especially if we use the remote blower & the silencer.

BUT here are my questions:

First, do I really need a 42" wide hood if I've got 1200 CFM? If I go with a 42" hood vs 36" hood, I'll theoretically reduce the upper cabinets by 12" (so says my KD). But the cabinets above the hood will be small and hard to reach anyway.

Second, I've been told that the typical hood height is 30" above the cooking surface. If I go with a 36" wide hood that is 27" deep, I'm thinking I'll bump my head. But if I go to a 42" then I've heard I can raise it up to 33". I'm just under 5'9", so if I can go up to 33" above the range top instead of 30", that would theoretically prevent me from bumping my head.

Finally, the ducting from the hood will make a 90 degree bend at the ceiling and run across the kitchen to the outside wall. Is it common or even necessary to put sound insulation around the duct to reduce noise?

I've read a lot of posts here on the forum (everythign I know I've learned here, as they say) and found posts by folks like clinresga to be very informative. I looked at Modern-Aire as well, based on clinresga's posts, but I don't need anything custom for what we're doing, and the Wolf is cheaper - and with all the other stuff we're buying the dealer will throw in the silencer for free.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)