SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zofie_gw

' Everyone in America gets the GM employee discount '

zofie
18 years ago

... oh and btw, 25,000 GM employees will be terminated.

Somehow, I dont feel like running over to GM and taking advantage of their much-publicized employee discount. What about you?

One week they announce the employee discount, and it seems like one week later they announced the layoff??? Talk about terrible timing. Or was this really their planned strategy?

Comments (101)

• gary__
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can't you guys play nice?

Lexie bought what turned out to be a lemmon so she's concluded the largest car company it the world sells nothing but junk. Granted, that's a pretty small sample to judge by, but still understandable.

I have the same type of feelings about VW's. At least I owned three POS's in a row before I concluded that company produced nothing but junk and deserves to die. I'm not as stupid as it sounds buying three of them. The first two were beetles and purchased as investments shortly after the oil embargo days in the 70's. Bought ones looking a little rough for a few hundred bucks. They were still late model low mileage cars. Hammered out a few dents and sold them for $2000 each. The third was an '81 rabbit diesel that I purchased in the pursuit of an economical commutor car. It wasn't very old when I got it and had somewhere around 30k miles on it. Seemed like every weekend I was tinkering fixing what broke or fell appart during the week. Regularly saw abandoned VW rabbits along side the road in those dsys. When the head gasket started to leak that was it. I dumped it asap while it still ran ok. I know all VW's can't be that bad. The company has been around a long time and there are people who think they're the best. To me they were garbage in the past and always will be. Lexie got the same thing going with GM based on the experience she had.

• johndeere
    18 years ago

bill h your guessed correctly.No VW for me and California is not a place on my list to visit.

Gary I try to always play nice.But if im treated like dirt from someone who simply does not agree with what im saying.Then has the nerve to try to cut me down.Simply to change the subject and to act like a third grade school kid in the process of doing so.I will gladly put there foot where it belongs for them.Brings out the devil in me.I just call them as I see it.I said a few things that were out of line and I appologise to anyone I might have offended.But when someone tries to degrade me with personal attacks like Freak.They have it coming and I will not bend over backwards to play nice with that person.

• Related Discussions

gm seed honeybee collapse

Q

Comments (12)
    I had a gut instinct the bee's getting sick are not only from GE crops contain systemic pesticides running through every part of the plant. If an insect , like the honey bee who has to collect pollen, feed from, return to the colony, etc., and not be harmed by this is kidding himself. It is fact that a human who consumes food with trace amounts of these toxins is linked to health problems. The bee not only eats and collects, it builds a colony of wax that houses the eggs! Now how long do you think it would take before we saw the epidemic? Not long because they are insects. Rather then discount this as a scare tactic article, respect the simple facts. GE crops are going to be designed to not require bee's, so who are they to care? To answer Wayne 5, you are correct. They do need the bee's, many almond orchards hire beekeeping services to bring their bee's to be released down the rows. The problem is if consumers continue to use systemic pesticides, sprays and the like, you will never see any beneficial insects like praying mantis or lady bug. And if you do use chemicals and they are in your garden, you probably have seen the last. If they really did work, then why on earth did the GE crop need to be designed? I know the answer if your interested. I have fought against GE crop foods which will now be allowed to be in baby food without being labeled as a GE product. If you do your homework, like is like saying hormones in poultry and dairy products is harmless. We have proof this is far from the truth. The goverments consumer stand on this is "BUYER BEWARE". So if the chicken gets bigger and matures faster by hormones, then we eat the chicken with the hormones what happens to us scary! NOVA Science team did a documentary about the human body it is shocking. Young girls development is documented at an alarming rate. I would like to believe Honey bee's are smart enough to stay away from suspect plants. But they learn by evolution. The bee can't avoid a species because the colony perished. They have no way of detecting right now. So what should we all do? We can watch the numbers disappear. By the way, the bee's are not just dying off from the reported bee keepers, they simply are disappearing. No sign of foul play, disease, not one bee body lying dead on the ground, nothing. Maybe the bee's knew their options to live were limited by the bee keeper and possible pestisides. They saw their colonies not up to par and searched for a location, became ferrel with an organic garden. That is exactly what happened one year ago in my backyard. They just thrived, and recently split up with a new queen and swarmed to hopefully, a safe envirorment. My have has either an new queen or the old one, either way, mother nature is in charge. I collect no honey. I wish I could, but my job is to provide the food in the garden for them. Thank you for letting me vent, sorry I got off track.
    ...See More

GM and Toyota top J.D. Power quality survey

Q

Comments (53)
    "Wow OAA9898 you called me a lier and a retard in one post LOL.Sure its just one case and I said they make them better today then they did back then.But it is a true story.I guess you just do not believe everything you read.Just every thing Consumer Distorts and JD powers writes?Still its a fact you do not see 20 year old Rice burners on the road.Thats a fact.Maybe up on blocks.Even this retard can see that." Actually they did make them good, even back then. Why do you think the imports were so popular? American cars in the '70s were gas hogs of substandard quality. All cars built back then were of abysmal quality in comparison to todays cars. I'm not suggesting imports were perfect at all; however, every car in the 70s had rust problems. The problem with imports back then was that very few mechanics would touch them, so dealer maintenance was necessary and expensive (and therefore often left undone). Guess what happens if you don't change the timing belt on an interference engine? It snaps and the pistons hit the valves, and well, you can guess the rest. If your car has over a 100,000 miles on it, and the engine is ruined due to a snapped timing belt (due to poor maintenance) you could put a couple thousand dollars into an eight or nine year old car, or cut your losses. What choice do you think a lot of consumers made? BTW, in 1985, Honda and Toyota sales were growing but were far from being at the volume of domestic cars sold at the time. Of course you see more domestics; thats simply due to the fact that more domestics were sold. Japanese car companies concentrated their sales in markets were demand was the highest, like on the West coast. You live in Illinois, the demand for gasoline was and is much higher in California, and probably always will be; therefore, there was a greater demand for fuel-efficient vehicles. Hence, more Hondas and Toyotas were sold there as opposed to where you and I live, the Midwest. Despite what you may believe, everything is not the same everywhere, johndeere. And thanks to competition cars today are far better then they would be without Japanese Imports. Thanks, Japan. Don't knock Consumer Reports. Unlike J.D. Power & Associates, they are one of the only non-for-profit consumer advocacy groups left in the country. They accept no advertisements, corporate donations, and don't allow their name to be advertised by manufacturers. Say what you will, that they're biased towards foreign cars, or other garbage like that - but it will be completely unfounded.
    ...See More

GMs Announced Five Year (100,000mi) Warranty

Q

Comments (41)
    I can't help but laugh about the irony of this thread and the one that worm started. Here we are talking about the results of not taking proper care of a car, and his thread is all about intentionally doing just that. There is no magic oil that can be run "forever". "Consumers" at large truly don't know what auto technicians are up against these days, and what the very near future holds. The sad part is, I don't believe a large number of them care about us at all. A few weeks ago I contributed to an article that was in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette written by Don Hammond. Even this article falls short of just what is going on. Yesterday a local bodyshop that buys a lot of totalled cars, and rebuilds them showed uphere with a 2006 Jeep Liberty. This thing had 69 miles on it. He had six things not working correctly. With all of the money I have spent through the years to have tools and equipment, there was nothing that I could do for him, yet. My Chrysler DRBIII (The factory tool, same one the dealers use) does not work on the CAN system. I have $9000 invested in just this one tool. I have to go buy a "Star Scan", or "Star Soft" to have the factory tool to work with this newer Chrysler product. That's another $5000 for just one Chrysler dedicated tool. Then I'd still have to pay for a temporary subscription to the Chrysler factory website for the service information, at $20. for three days. Multiply this situation by virtually every manufacturer out there, except for GM, and you have a good picture of whats going on. More than any other manufacturer, GM provides me with easy access to service information and tools, and parts to help me care for their customers. The $7000 that I have invested in GM specific tools, are the most reasonable expense I have to bear. Honda for instance, as mentioned in this article has their factory tool price around $9000, for less than 3% of the potential work that I can do, and continued subscription for the software is required ($1400/yr) or else the tool turns off! BTW GM is slated to switch to a new tool for the 2009's but will continue to support the Tech II at least until 2015. Toyota is slated to continue to share their platform with GM, at least that is the word that I heard last. Same base tool, just a different software cartridge. Here is a link that might be useful: Post Gazette Article
    ...See More

Exclusive interview with Octuplets GM

Q

Comments (34)
    She said she saved every penny she could and worked double shifts - no wonder her mother is sick of taking care of her grandchildren - free babysitting. If you can't afford the first 6 children - will adding more help the situation? Not by my calculations. May I add that there are plenty of people in other countries who have children and barely have enough to eat. There is NO ONE to bail them out, help them out or anything. They have what they have and don't have what they don't have. She consciously made this decision; there was no gun to her head. I'm not for children suffering either, but my parents grew up in the Depression. They grew their food and wore what they could afford or sew. I hope she gets busy planting a garden and might consider buying a cow. I did think it was curious that they showed her hands during the interview and she had enough money to get her nails done (and looked like collagen injections in her lips).
    ...See More
  • RooseveltL
    18 years ago

Gary - You add a great point. Everyone has their own limited experience a brand and no one person can state their experience reflects an entire car company.

I have had EXCELLENT experiences with VW - 80 Rabbit Diesel, 82 Rabbit Diesel, a GTI, 86 Jetta (even though its 5 speed tranmission would machine itself dead) and most recently 01 Passat.

Outside of a fan belt, popped hose and my own insanity of not tightening a radiator cap - all were reliable and gave me the impression of greatly built cars. I know this isn't the experience of all VW owners but my experiences include spending the money for maintenance and getting Bosch part vs. after-market knock-offs!
    With the price of gas, I would buy another VW Rabbit if I could find one but wouldn't trust its maintenance as most mechanics have no clue what to do with diesel engines in the US. Anyway, on the opposite of this I rented a semi-new Dodge Neon which was leaking stuff at the end of my short rental period, and an Oldsmobile Alero with only 5,000 mi with a front windshield falling off until I used duct tape to keep it attached so I wouldn't be sued if I had to stop quickly. My impression American cars sux but I also have no complaints of the Impala and I know we make a great truck (but I hate SUVs/Pick-Ups).

• brianl703
    18 years ago

"With the price of gas, I would buy another VW Rabbit if I could find one but wouldn't trust its maintenance as most mechanics have no clue what to do with diesel engines in the US."

You could buy the service manual and learn what it needs maintenance wise. Then, for those things you don't want to do yourself, find a mechanic willing to do exactly what you tell him (or her). My mechanic is like that--if I take my car to him, he knows I'm going to tell him exactly what needs to be replaced, and he's ok with that.

• oaa9898
    18 years ago

"When ever someone like my self gets them backed into a corner.They like to throw education level in there face.I never went to college.I sent my daughter to college.She is now a surgical nurse.Here education was paid for by this dumb cow town farm hick.Reason she went to college is because she more then likley was going to marry a college boy.That worried me because they do not seem to be very work brittle.I was afraid instead of supporting my daughter and future grandkids.He would think the education he recieved would go to his head and he would feel he was intitled to a soft easy office job.That allowed him to play golf.Rather then work a second job.Glad I did send here to school because as figured she is the bread winner in that family.Yea you guessed it she married one.You can pick your enimies but you just can not pick your son inlaws."

If there has been anyone acting superiorly this whole time it's you. Don't think I didn't notice the "I'm simpler therefore smarter" act that you haven't pulled off very successfully. You speak of educated urban people as if they're all just a bunch of materialistic busy bodies that don't have a clue of what "real" life is. You're ethnocentric and don't even realize it. First of all, you assumed that YOU only see GM cars and therefore they had to be the most durable. As you further your arguments, you say that only people who farm or labor make an honest living, that everyone else just plays golf all day. You have no tolerance for diversity in ideas, you think people should only do what you what you find to be of value. It is clear from this that you have no concept of reality outside of your own area. So your son-in-law doesn't have a job, therefore all college-educated people don't like to work? Wrong, you don't think they like to work because they don't do the type of work that you consider being laborious enough. Pouring over tax returns doesn't seem physically tiring, but it is exhausting never the less. We live in an information economy, its not who has the strongest back, but the sharpest mind.

Your assertion that by buying a Japanese car I'm supporting terrorists isn't only false, it's offensive. It also shows that you have no idea how the world works. How could you? You don't even know how things work in this country. Those educated yuppies keep us ahead of the other guys. Who do you think designs laser guided missiles? Pig Farmers? You make me laugh, but it isn't funny how clueless you are.

"I realise I pI$$ED off a few.Thats fine you do not like me and that makes everything just about even.What strikes me as funny is a person complaining and belly aching about the lemon $14000.00 car she felt she got took on?You throw education in my face yet gripe about low cost shump change cars like it put you in the poor house?If your so smart and educated and better then me why would a shump change $14000.00 car.Put you in such a bad mood that you would feel the need to degrade a person assumming he was a undereducated cow town hick trash poor farm boy?You would just trade it in and forget about it.Life goes on its a cheap priced car.Not a 10 million dollar house on a hill.With all your brains and never make a mistake capabilities.Why are you driving compact car in the first place?Did you loose your fortune in the stock markets.Rather then investing it in land and have to hope social security does not run out or your puppet on a string college job pension does not go belly up along with your 401K plan?Dont blame the cow town Farmers that put your food on your table.Also the college boys are not the ones that made are land productive and developed the fertiliser and seed and herbicides needed to double are yields in the last 40 years.We developed the technology raised the seed and made the differance.Sure some of are Farm family college educated kids had a huge hand in it.But they sure never came from the cities.They think are corn is what is in a can setting on a shelf LOL.They think so what we do not eat that hard dry corn they raise.Or those Soybeans or wheat.I have acctually had college city people mention that stupid comment.I just laugh and when I clean out a grain bin I relive my self in there future wheat bread or cornflakes.Or the other numerous products you use daily.We do not raise vegetables and milk cows and feed the chicken out here in cowtown."

So someone you know was ripped off buying a 14,000 car, and therefore all Japanese cars are lemons, and they put everyone in "the poor house"? Statistics and my pocketbook suggest otherwise. I'm better off driving a car that costs less to buy and run, and has a better resale value. I didn't "assume" you were an uneducated cow town hick, I correctly guessed that this was the case, and with every post, you prove me right.

When did I say I was driving a compact car, anyways? I drive a midsize sedan. So which one of your friends genetically altered a seed of corn to produce a better yield? Or developed the correct bacterial culture to help nitrify your crops? Sorry, research scientists, biologists, botanists, agronomists, and genetic engineers did all-the-above, not you. You couldn't even write a 9th Grader's Lab Report, let alone alter DNA. Whether or not they came from farms is irrelevant. I don't have anything against people who come from the country, I'm one of them, and know many of them, and they're nothing like you. Being from the country doesnt make you stupid; you chose to be that way.

"Oh and I seen southern California.Its a desert!!!!!You can only raise weeds out there."

California is the number one state in agriculture. Are you really this dumb? Have you ever heard of Salinas County? Do you really have that little knowledge about the rest of the world? And as far as home and property value goes, I could try to explain the idea of home equity, but at your level of comprehension, my time would probably be better spent bashing my head against a brickwall.

• christopherh
    18 years ago

I'm seeing a bit of a rivalry between the "edyoocated urbanites" and the "cow townies". I'm kinda in the middle. I grew up in Northern Noo Joisey and I can assure you they don't PRINT enough money for me to live there again! I live on a DIRT ROAD here in a New England state where 28% of 'em are dirt and we like it just fine thank you!

I also see Californians strutting around acting superior. Now we all know that state is known for their avacodos and almonds. Or as we yokels call it, The Land of the Fruits and Nuts!

It's a big beautiful country out there for the most part. Those that want to literally live on top of each other can do so. Those that want 200 acres to stretch out on can do so too. Neither is wrong. And the grammer that some use is OK too. So what if spelling isn't your strongest point? I just have little tolerance for those that actually think they are BETTER than others because of the vehicle they drive or where they live or the fact they went to college! I have little respect for people that look down their nose at others. Country folk are proud people. And they don't need belittling by urbanites. There's a diner in northern VT that sells bumper stickers. One says: "DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT FARMERS WITH YOUR MOUTH FULL!" I can't tell you how many people actually think food comes from the back of the store! My other favorite is "DON'T LIKE LOGGING? YOU'LL LOVE PLASTIC TOILET PAPER!"

So as that famous Californian said: "Can't we all just get along???"

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Well if I didnt like my escalade so much Id go for a new one about now....great vehicles.Maybe since hubbys so fed up with his ford trucks I could get hiom one to replace fords ..wouldnt that be great!!!his & her escalades.

• brianl703
    18 years ago

By the way, I'd like to point out that the same person wrote both of the following paragraphs:

"Also, after looking at the demographics, you'll soon see that more affluent buyers are more likely to purchase foreign automobiles. Those who are affluent are often college educated. Wealthy, affluent buyers are more likely to purchase foreign automobiles. Wealthy individuals are more likely to live in affluent areas of the country, like cities and in the state of California (the 5th largest economy in the world)"

"It's not illogical to assume that similarly sized, weighted & priced vehicles that are competitors of one another are bought by relatively the same demographic. According to demographics published in the 2000 Road Report, the average age for drivers of the Malibu, Grand Am, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Passat, and Maxima are 47, 47, 49, 53, 44, 51 respectively. With the exception of the Passat and Maxima, the average age seems to fall within range of one another. It's not as if were comparing a Honda Civic to a Cadillac Deville. We're comparing vehicles of similar weight and size."

• johndeere
    18 years ago

Well atleast I seem to have some support from ChristopherH.''I like the dont Bite the Hand that feeds you'' my self.But your saying is a good one also.Thanks for the support.

oaa9898 I never said my son inlaw was unemployed.I meant he is not making what he should be.He could be making more if he was not setting behind a desk pushing a pencil and thinking his work day starts at 9 and ends at 5.

You say California is the number 1 state for ag.Well you must have read that in a book.I personally do not believe everything I read.You might be right.After all you like to point out just how stupid I am.But there is no way it is number 1 in grain or livestock production.Im positive it is number 1 in fruits and nuts.How do you know that a Pig Farmer never developed the laser guided missles?He might have just done that after supper.

This all started over your City people and college people are smarter then the country boy.I just had to put you in your place.I also did a very good job of it.Because it sure pi$$ed you off.I never one time said we are better then you.You however might as well of said you were better then me.You should not cut the country people down.Because you just might be setting along side the road one day.The person who will stop will be a country person.The city people will be to afraid and in to big of a hurry to help you out.Of couse you probably have AAA incase you have a flat.Because there is not a book written on comsence things like changing a tire?

• brianl703
    18 years ago

"Because there is not a book written on comsence things like changing a tire?"

Actually, it's covered in the owner's manual for the car, but most people don't bother to read it, if it's even in the glove compartment.
    I used to work dialup internet tech support years ago; I'm fully aware of how some people refuse to apply the intelligence they often claim to have to the problem at hand.

The best part is when they start arguing with you over the cause of the problem.

• zofie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JD, you didn't really pee in our cornflakes, did you? Now that's just gross. Sure wish you had kept that bit of info to yourself.

• Lexie76
    18 years ago

***You should not cut the country people down.Because you just might be setting along side the road one day.The person who will stop will be a country person.The city people will be to afraid and in to big of a hurry to help you out.Of couse you probably have AAA incase you have a flat.Because there is not a book written on comsence things like changing a tire?***

No one is saying that city people are better than country folks. You put yourself down and we simply agree. Like I said in my previous threads, do you read between the lines or just don't understand what you are reading? J.D. are you sure you are not a 10 year old kid messing with daddy's PC while he's away?

• christopherh
    18 years ago

I'm gonna show some examples of "country culture". You're out driving and there's a roadside stand selling veggies. You stop and want a dozen ears of corn. There's nobody there. Just a bucket and a sign. "Put money here". You do. and the bucket isn't stolen. And you just take 12 ears of corn.

Another example of rural life is when a kid working at a Sunoco station in VT up and quit. He just locked the door and left during the middle of the day. The owner showed up about 3 hours later to find the kid left the pumps on. The owner thought the worst. She unlocked the door and found money on the floor. The customers realized nobody was there and slipped the money under the door. Credit card people wrote their numbers on pieces of paper and also slipped them under the door. When she tallied up the numbers she said "I owe somebody change!" How many here would just fill the tank and leave?

Country folk don't lock their doors. we leave the keys in the car. We leave the car windows open except at harvest time. If you don't roll up the windows you come back and find tomatoes or zucchini on the front seat.
    The center of our town is still the General Store. We buy both groceries as well as a shovel if need be. Seth still will have a credit account for his regulars. "Hey, you're short? Pay me Friday."
    Country folk are honest, hard working people. And an overwhelming majority of the farmers up here ARE college educated! They wear blue suits just like the urbanites. It's just a blue denim coverall. And they are businessmen just like everyone else. But when you look down your nose at the guy in the field on a tractor just remember, those tractors cost over 100 grand today!

Another quick story. I was at the General store last winter and some girls stopped in asking for directions. They wanted to get back to the interstate. They were dressed in the LATEST ski wear. An old grizzled Vermonter asked "You girls from New York City?" One said "Yes. And we want to get back to civilization". He said " Ah yes, New York. You have 5 locks on your doors. You have steel clubs on your steering wheels. You have people that will stab you for your leather coat. You can't even enjoy your big park at night. And you call THAT 'civilized?'"

Oh well, it's raining. I guess I'll put my Expedition in 4WD, go down my dirt road to the general store and....

• Lexie76
    18 years ago

***Country folk don't lock their doors. we leave the keys in the car***

What's the point anyway if you live out of nowhere. If people have the intention of rubbing you, locking it wouldn't help so why not let them walk in and take what they want rather than having them break your door and take everything? By the time the sheriff gets to your property, the robber is gone unless you shoot him with w/ your own shot gun. Your nearest neighbors is 20 miles away so who they wouldn't know. So it is pointless to lock the doors.

If one of the folks down the road steals your car, he/she better leave town because who would not notice that he/she is DRIVING your car? When there are more people, the chances of murder/robbery occuring is greater. People are people regardless of where they live. If they have the intention to kill/steal, they will do it.

• RooseveltL
    18 years ago

Whoa - you folks need to calm down. I live in the city and would like to give you a different experience:

I can jog/walk in the park in the early morning hours and see a variety of other folks exercising from infant to elderly of all different races/groups.

Later in the day, I can return to the park and enjoy a free movie/concert with random strangers while drinking wine. Or visit Lincoln Center for free swing dance lessons.
    Afterwards, I can walk to have late night food from one continent with two of my best friends from two different continents which gives me a more worldly experience.

Some folks - are afraid of difference and change while others embrace experiencing different things and people.

Regarding, rural environments - let us not forget every so often we hear of Cowboy Joe - who decides to:
    a. bomb a federal building in Okl.
    b. redneck from the mountains decides to denonate a bomb at the Olympics
    c. guy decides to shoot up a church/social function and himself
    d. kids go to school and because they are tease resulting in Columbine
    e. most serial killers live or grew up in the rural environment.

My point is we can all stereotype others living conditions but unless you experience it first hand a visit or film footage doesn't give anyone the authority to claim experience in any area.

Heck, I view Africa and Brazil on TV and think they both miserable but until I visit first hand - I have no authority as they may live happier than the US (both rural and urban) with our anti-depressant drugs and poor health conditions.

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Im country....proud of it.We see things out here city folk dont ,air is a little cleaner.My doors are locked we also have guns,where do you think your milk ,beef,chicken,vegetables come from????not the fairy.I lived half my life in city,half in country you could not get me back in city.

• bill_h
    18 years ago

i dont lock my house or car doors that often. i live in an old suburb of detroit. i used to live in the country you couldnt get back in the country. our fairys cut hair.

• zofie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My parents were country, and I'm proud of them. But I can see from previous posts here ... that I fall under the category of "yuppie from yuppieville". I was born in California but now living in Arizona. And yep, I love avocados! Gimme California sushi rolls stuffed with avocados any day! yum yum! ;-)

btw, being from the country doesn't entitle anyone free reign to be rude & crude. Yes, country life is beautiful, but so is city life.

• gary__
    18 years ago

All this about jd's comment... "Reliability and Quality must be pretty good then.Because there are a lot of GM vevicals on the road."

I'm not seeing what all the hostility is about myself. But I'm just another former dumb farm kid.

• brianl703
    18 years ago

"most serial killers live or grew up in the rural environment."

Keep in mind that "serial killer" is, by definition, someone who comitted a crime and GOT AWAY WITH IT more than once.

Most of your inner-city types can't seem to manage that.

• RooseveltL
    18 years ago

no offense to you but apparently the inner-city types are more capable to deal with others and interact with people outside of their family so the need to shoot 35 people and eat them isn't as important.

Additionally, in Canada folks who live in the city keep their doors unlock, etc.

let us stop the stereotype as for every example one can give why the city is bad, I can give an example why it is good. And the same for rural life - I can say bad for this and you can argue it is great for this.

If you haven't lived in both places for the same amount of time than it is wise we all shut up on this issue as it is a senseless argument. If I haven't driven every GM why should I comment all GM sucks and if you haven't driven every import than it is impossible to say they are low quality.

• brianl703
    18 years ago

Washington, DC is the murder capital of the USA. As of several years ago, they had the highest murder rate of any large city in the USA (which isn't to say that the other large cities do not have a problem).

You can deny that there's a problem. But that's not what the statistics are showing.

The point about the serial killers, which you seem to have missed, is that serial killers are one of the few intelligent criminals, capable of getting away with the crime time after time. Perhaps that is why they garner so much attention--they are truely not the norm as far as criminality goes.

On the subject of criminality and intelligence, studies have shown that many criminals suffer neurological impairments which affect their intelligence and the ability to control their impulses, often from causes such as lead poisoning.

• brianl703
    18 years ago

I can guarantee you that there will be more murders in inner-cities today than there will be cases of serial killers in rural areas eating 35 (or any number of) people all year.

• Lexie76
    18 years ago

***I can guarantee you that there will be more murders in inner-cities today than there will be cases of serial killers in rural areas eating 35 (or any number of) people all year.***

But of course.... +/- 10 million people living in NYC compared to 2,500 in a small town. Over 90% of the murders are committed by people that know the victims so it is not like a majority of the murders are committed by nuts running around killing people that they do not know.

The most recent case from an agricultural town ---Marcus Wesson, 58 of California is convicted of killing 9 kids.

"The slayings were the worst murder case ever seen in this agricultural town in the heart of California's Central Valley." -AP

What better place to conduct 'weird' activities (polygamy) than in a rural area? No one knows what's going on. I live in a burb of a large city and my NOSY neighbors know my EVERY move. You think I can sneak someone in without someone noticing?

• brianl703
    18 years ago

Actually, I was comparing ALL large cities to ALL rural areas. I wasn't comparing a single large city to a single rural area; that would make no sense.

In terms of murders per 100,000 population, large cities have a higher murder rate than rural areas. This way of expressing the murder rate, in terms of murders per 100,000 population, makes the data equally applicable to all cities and towns regardless of size.

In 2002, Washington, DC:

264 murders (46.2 per 100,000)
    (that's about 1 murder per 2165 residents per year)
    Nearly every single rural area (in Virginia) I checked save for one had a murder rate of 0 per 100,000. That one which had a higher murder rate was 6 per 100,000--and that was due to a single murder in a small town.

A rural area with a population of 10,000 or so would need about 5 murders per year to have the same murder rate as DC.

I attached the site where I got the murder rate statistics below. It doesn't have the crime rates for some cities, but for most it does.

• bob411
    18 years ago

I don't think of farming as manual labor. You either sit at a desk, or sit in a tractor, not much difference. Back when I was a teenager we bailed hay, that was physical work, but almost nobody does that anymore, maybe the Amish. If someone wants to live in the city, great someone has to. I need to see the sun rise, and set. I have to be able to see the stars at night. Probably some people that live in the mountains, or by an ocean that think I am nut for living in the middle of Illinois. That I can understand.

I can't spell either. And I am not going to waste my time looking up every word, or somehow get a spellcheck for this forum. Life's too short.

Bob

• johndeere
    18 years ago

Bob411 we still do some manual labor on our farms.Cleaning out bins,maintaining buildings,weeds and weed whackers seems to be a endless job this time of year.Tractor seats is just a portion of daily duties.However you are correct farming is less phisical work then it use to be. Thanks to things like RoundUP beans.Rather then spending the summer cutting weeds out of bean fields.Round bails of hay rather then square bails.However cows still eat hay these days.Machinery still breaks down and needs repaired.

As for murderes in cities vs rural areas?Im not sure how that came up.It happens out here from time to time.But not daily like in Chicago.As for murderes in California.I can see why in the land of Fruits and Nuts.Besides out there if your a celebrity you can get away with it.Murder and being a fruit and a nut.

• paul__kelllam
    18 years ago

buy one get one free how about GM?

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

In Pa farmers arent doing well, not paid enough..alot are selling out "thier"farms,we bought 2.My hubbys a builder and we drive a GM SUV,LOVE IT LOVE IT......Theres the other NASTY word here SUV...love it love it!!!!!!!and we didnt go to college.Started from the bottom worked up to owning own businesses and live in country we raise Registered Texas Longhorns so where does that put me????

• bill_h
    18 years ago

outstanding in your field?

• johndeere
    18 years ago

I found out one thing for fact here in ''Cow Town''This week alone.My parents decides they were ready for a new mini van.There in there mid 70's and farmed all there life and dad has worked off the farm also all his life to this day.There 1995 Astro van now has 96000 miles on it and is still in very good condition.But dads Cadilac a 1987 with 210000 miles is getting to the point where a 76 year old should be driving something a little more reliable.So moms Astro van is now dads work vehical.They sent me to get them a good deal on a new Buick Teraza.Brother to the Chevy Uplander.A good deal they recieved with the employee discount and they took delivery today.The local Cow Town Chevy Buick dealer sold 13 new vehicals last Satuday alone.His lot is looking bare plus many were brought in from the large towns. Located vehicals as was my parents Buick Teraza was located near Moline Illinois John Deere main headquarters.Probably also considered ''Cow Town''?If sales were this good in this "Cow Town"Amagine what probably happened nation wide?I feel GM will survive right along with the Country Boy.Mom and Dad said get us a good deal son.So we went to several dealer ships.We decided the larger towns the sales people were pushy not friendly and would tell you what you wanted to here.Problem was they were full of BS andwould not budge. They said GM locked us out?Yea Right!!!!So we came back to Cow Town got the dealer discount and did the old fashion haggle.Never paid the stupid city tax and saved some more money.All is well in ''Cow Town''.I can not type or spell but math is what matters in ''Cow Town''.We did the math in the City there numbers were way off.Funny how so many pay more then they have to in the City.

• bill_h
    18 years ago

well sure it costs more in the city j.d., but we get a free latte with our car. and i kept the salesmans pen.

• zofie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Bill! yep, free lattes! And we also get cash rebates, 0% financing, etc ...

Oh and you'll really like this one. Many places here in the City of Yuppieville offer additional rebates for college graduates. ;-)

• johndeere
    18 years ago

What are Lattes?

• Lexie76
    18 years ago

***We did the math in the City there numbers were way off.Funny how so many pay more then they have to in the City.***

I would much rather pay the city and have good roads, schools and all the modern conveniences. I got a free oil change w/ car my purchase. There are more competition in the city and therefore, the prices are probably lower in the cities than they are in small towns. All the dealers are willing to match the price.

• reekola
    18 years ago

Lattes are them $3/cup sissy-pants fancy coffees that yuppies drink!!!

• johndeere
    18 years ago

Better roads?The city is pot hole paradise.Atleast Chicago why dont they build a house over that basement.

Better schools?We have nice schools out here these days.Also are kids dont bring guns and knives to shool for show and tell.They do not have to walk thru a metal detector to get to class.One free oil change LOL.They give you two years of free changes out here in ''Cow town''.One oil change Huh thats like what $18.00?The local Cow Town dealer sells cars to the people in Yuppie Ville.They have a bill board in Yuppie Ville that reads.Drive a little save a lot.They come to Cow Town population 4200 and get a better deal.Modern convinieces?Like what?I was able to get 300 channels on the dish in the early 80's.While my cable friends were getting 15.Huh and they thought I was a Hick!I can skinny dip in my pool in the broad daylight out here.Can you?Only thing we lack is brake shops.We get 60000 on a set of brake pads.Rather then 6000.We can drive 20 miles to work in 20 minutes rather then 2 hours.If we meet a car we wave.Also we carry a pepsi with us in the cup holder.Not that fancy coffee the Yuppies drink and spill on there sissy pants then try to sue Mc Donalds over.

• RooseveltL
    18 years ago

Johndeere - just a reminder -
    Columbine was not a city.
    The shooting last year by the son of a sheriff was not a city.
    The shooting down South a few years back at school was NOT in a city.

Your comment is ignorant!

• johndeere
    18 years ago

Yea but those are only the ones you here about.Because they happened in smaller areas.That stuff happens all the time in Chicago I watch the news.

We do not have drive by shooting out here.We also do not have sirens blasting every 5 minutes.

Can you people have a conversation without calling someone ignorant or stupid or start in with your learn to spell BS?Your all a like you think your smarter then people in the rule areas.Every time you come back with a I am better then you comment.You help proove my point!!!!!!!!Im just a country person who calls them as I see it.Get use to it you can not win.

• bill_h
    18 years ago

hey j.d. look me up if ever come to detroit, i`ll buy the latte`s. wear sissy pants, otherwise you stand out,when theres a drive by, dont want to be a target. we can check out the new honda pickups, then drive down to the kubota dealer, look over the lawn tractors. go pistons!

• valtog
    18 years ago

"Now, I'm not sure what the going rate is for truck drivers and construction workers in your area, but nationally the average wage for those jobs isn't that high. "
    My husband has two business degrees. When he got out of college, he worked in management for a large corporation. What does he do now? He is a truck driver. Why? The money is good and there is a LOT less BS involved. He never has to bring his work home. He's home every night and actually has time for his family. BTW, with bonuses, profit sharing and 401K contributions, he makes almost 80K....not too shabby for a job where the national wage "isn't that high" And, NO, he never goes over hours....there is a computerized system in the cabs and if you go over hours..you will be TERMINATED..no questions asked...

• earthworm
    18 years ago

The moderator should move most of this to another thread : city living vs country living...

So the car-makers produce a nice clean safety-mobile which I cannot begin to afford, nor need , even if the discount is 50%!!!!

The $1,780 new Volkswagen - now that was affordable..Back then, I think a new Cadillac was but four to five grand - when Caddys were the standard of the world..

• Lexie76
    18 years ago

***My husband has two business degrees. When he got out of college, he worked in management for a large corporation. What does he do now? He is a truck driver. Why? The money is good and there is a LOT less BS involved.***

My bro's college pal makes $50K a year and drives all over the country and is only home two days a week. My cousin who just got his CDL and is making $35,000 a year living in NYC and is working locally. His friend (operator of truck company) makes $100K a year but he also has to make payment to his $100,000 truck, pay his own insurance, his own fuel, etc. I agree that the national average for truck trucking is shabby, not to mention time away from home and the stress dealing w/ safety on the roads and the hazards. If you get several tickets, you get suspended so I am not sure how that is not stressful. You have to be alert all the time and deal with the BS on the roads. I drive 14 miles to and from work and I can fully understand why road rages occur. People drive like idiots!

• valtog
    18 years ago

Driving a truck is like many other jobs. You have to work your way up. When he first started driving, he was over the road and the money wasn't that great. The company he works for now has very stringent qualifications. 5+ years of error free driving. No accidents, moving violations, or tickets. It helps if you have a contact in the company that has had a working relationship with you that will vouch for your professionalism and work ethic. It is also a very physically demanding job. He and his codriver touch every piece of freight they haul. Most drivers wouldn't do that. And he drives most of his routes in rural New Hampshire and Maine in the wee hours of the morning...Not many folks on the road.

• brianl703
    18 years ago

"You have to work your way up."

That's news to some job applicants, especially the ones who think that a 4-year degree makes them worth a high salary despite the fact that they have NO experience.

• valtog
    18 years ago

Funny! When I was in college, I remember my marketing professor asking what people expected to make in marketing when they got out of college. The first guy said 45K. This was 1985...everyone (but him) got a good laugh:))))

• christopherh
    18 years ago

***The $1,780 new Volkswagen - now that was afordable..Back then, I think a new Cadillac was but four to five grand - when Caddys were the standard of the world..***

And weekly income was about $200 for a family.

***And he drives most of his routes in rural New Hampshire and Maine in the wee hours of the morning...Not many folks on the road.***

Except the moose. And they CAN do a number!

***"You have to work your way up."***

I'm beginning to believe that idea is gone from this country!

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Working our way up is what we knew to do...sure didnt get it from our parents.If You want it, good at it go for it.Been in business 35 years ,It was worth all the sweat, hard work,tough times.Thats why I thoroughly enjoy all I have.Building is good here.We're BUSY...Hubby can do custom homes,pools,Agricultural buildings,modulars,all this makes it easy to earn money, all you need is the want to do it.Theres lots of work if you want to work.ONE MORE!!!!!!!!!JD I dont think you were winning here....like you thought

• zofie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

... I just wanted the #100 post.

ahem, carry on. ;-)

• Dave Newman
    7 years ago

What ever happened to pep cars . They used to be considered new with all the incentives . is that gone along with are discounts .

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!