SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niroha

Just starting in Seattle area

niroha
11 years ago

Hi all. I am new to all this, so be gentle.

The idea of building our own home is overwhelming. I'll start by explaining what we want, what I know, and what I don't know. I'm hoping you all can help fill in some of the gaps on stuff I don't know. Not knowing is what makes this prospect scary to me.

We're looking for 1-3 acres outside of Seattle. If anyone on here is in the King County area, we're looking east, towards Issaquah and Fall City. Needs to be at least partially level, or made partially level. Need approx 1 acre cleared, the remaining can stay naturally treed. Looking to build an approx 2500 SF home, 3 bed, 2 bath. Once we buy land, we don't plan on building for another 2 years after that, hopefully no more than 3 years later. I have a pretty good idea of what I want my house to look like.

What I know: I know we'll most likely be in a septic system and drilled well. I know electricity in the street is a must. Gas in the street is hit and miss depending on where we look. Land loans are tough to get, minimum 30% down, 50% better. Interest rates are higher, and water must be on the land or accessible some how. So if I need to drill a well, the purchase has to be contingent on getting the well drilled before loan is finalized. That sort of thing. I know perc tests are required for septic systems. I know custom built homes are more spendy than non-custom.

What I don't know: I feel like I am not sure how to connect the dots. If I put in an offer, I know the offer needs to be contingent on things. Water, perc/septic approval.... and? I know various permits (not exactly sure which permits are required) would be a good idea but I don't plan on building for 2 years after the land is bought. How long are permits good for? Should I still get these permits even if I am not going to build for several years later? Is King county going to give me any issues wanting to clear trees off the land?

I have spoken with a couple of builders about budgets to see what various budget levels get us.

I plan on heading over to Department of Permitting and Environmental Review in Snoqualmie on Wednesday to ask about a couple lots we are looking at. I really have no idea what to ask them except "Tell me what you know about these tax parcels"

If there is ANYTHING I am missing, please ask or tell me.

Thank you.

Comments (11)