SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Concerning Christmas Village Centerpieces

oldalgebra
14 years ago

I've seen some interest in using Christmas Village people as centerpieces and thought I would offer this idea if anyone might consider using the lighted houses as well as the little people.

Years ago I set a table with the village houses strung down the center of the table. I saw it done somewhere, but can't remember where. At any rate, I wanted to light the houses, so I had a friend make a leaf for my table that had a hole in the center. It's made from MDF. The detail on the edges of the leaf don't match the edges of the original leaves, but you can't tell when it's covered with a tablecloth.

The leaf has an L-shaped piece of wood underneath. I hung a surge protector with multiple outlets from the L-shaped thingie and then ran a extension cord down the inside of the table leg.

It looks pretty ugly (which it is), but it works wonderfully. And no one knows how unattractive it is, as it's always covered.

I was sort of apprehensive about cutting a hole in my big tablecloth, but past experience told me that when I go to the trouble of using a tablecloth I ALWAYS use a centerpiece as well, so the hole would never show, even if I wasn't using lights. I didn't actually make a hole, but made a big buttonhole in the center of the tablecloth.

I can't tell you how many times I've used that leaf. I'm sort of a tiny string lights nut, so I've strung lights down the center of the table (intertwined with greenery or bead-like garland) many times, using the Leaf-With-A-Hole.

Hope this sparks an idea or two.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
More Discussions