SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbjap

What is the Sweet Spot in value...

bbjap
13 years ago

I'm looking to buy an entire set of kitchen appliances but i KNOW that i will get carried away. I've been looking for what seems like ages, but have a hard time pinning down what the sweetspot would be for value. I'm set on an induction top. wall oven, maybe a speedoven as the microwave, counterdepth fridge (maybe one each all fridge and all freezer), but the wife just wants one big fridge. will need a DW, hood, etc...

What do the good people here think is the sweet spot?... I want to spend enough money to get good value. i don't mind spending more for the good stuff but don't want to get carried away and be on the steep part of the curve were i'm spending thousands for a small increment of benefit.

THANKS so much in advance for your opinions!

Comments (22)

• stooxie
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In my own searching I have found pricing to me fairly linear, meaning a pretty direct correlation between features and price. There are, of course, outliers.

One of my often used sayings is "there is no magic." If somethings costs a lot there is generally a reason behind it, be it a hand-made range or a ton of features, etc.

Only you can decide which of these is worth paying for. As I keep saying, contemporary marketing has been very successful in confusing people to the utmost possible. It's so bad that we can't even feel good about something AFTER we've bought it! We have to get on GW and validate those purchases :)

Honestly, pick the features that are critical to you and then which are nice-to-haves. Do NOT worry about whose feature list is longer or choosing a make/model just because it X, Y, or Z thrown in. You'll drive yourself mad.

For a dishwasher we wanted quiet and auto-dispense. That cut out 98% of our choices. For a fridge we wanted something big, ideally with two evaporators (two compressors jumps the price hugely) and door dispensers. Again, that trimmed it all down for us. For a washer we wanted a front load model with a good balancing mechanism and steam options. Shortened the list down to about 3.

Decide what is important to you first and the rest will sort itself out. If you have NO clue about where to start then buy something middle-of-the-road and as you live with it you'll know better for next time.

-Stooxie

• wekick
    13 years ago

"Honestly, pick the features that are critical to you and then which are nice-to-haves. Do NOT worry about whose feature list is longer or choosing a make/model just because it X, Y, or Z thrown in. You'll drive yourself mad. "

This is soooo true Stooxie. One feature may be important to you and mean nothing to someone else.

You really have to ask yourself what bugs you about appliances you have now and what do you like about them.

What does your future look like? (Kids coming or going?)What kind of cooking/baking will you be doing?

I like all my appliances now but the one I think is a value is my Electrolux oven. It does everything and more than the one it replaced,and it was less than half the price. I did have an issue with the enamel and they replaced the whole oven immediately--quibble free.

• Related Discussions

What causes black spots on sweet potatoes?

Q

Comments (2)
    My goodness you make me hungry for sweet potatoes. I'll be right over. Here's a link that looks like it will be of use to you. http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0917/
    ...See More

Hitting that 'sweet spot' on apple harvest and storage

Q

Comments (8)
    Scott, all I have to offer is conjecture and hearsay, but I've had similar questions about apples that purportedly taste best after a period of storage. The conclusion I'd drawn is that apples that get better in storage require some type of cool storage in order to reach their peak. I had assumed that one could not speed that process up via room temperature because the apple would degrade too rapidly. In other words, I assume that the some of the changes that occur slowly in cold storage are different than those that occur more rapidly at room temperature. It could be something like the softening and oxidation is slowed down enough in cold storage to allow the much slower (perhaps not temperature specific) conversion of starches to sugar, or perhaps changes in volatile flavor compounds to have a significant effect. It may be that storing at room temperature speeds up some of the aging processes but not others. If I'm not making any sense please accept my apology in advance.
    ...See More

Dead Spots on Sweet Potato Leaf

Q

Comments (2)
    Might be a leaf spot disease - there are a number of themâ¦. Editing to add: Did you check to see what the undersides of the leaves look like? After thinking about this a bit more, it might also be insect damage. This post was edited by carolb_w_fl on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 12:30
    ...See More

Sweet Spot Roses - retailer??

Q

Comments (5)
    I saw some of them with brown spots all over the leaves at Home Depot when this first came up. So the series name may be ironic. I suppose it being a hot climate species the parent used to get the bicolor flower may be a fungus magnet, I may have read this also.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    13 years ago

Stooxie has some great advice, but I think for every choice there is a mid-range which is good enough without being top tier.

The big difference between induction cooktops is in the features and controls. You can play the "more power" game, but at a certain level there isn't much noticable difference for going for more power. The listed top amount is only available under certain circumstances. If you're looking at overall power, the amount of sharing between paired elements is likely to have a bigger impact on your cooking. Having more power steps (17 instead of 9, for the main controls), means better controls, but most of them have that now, though some of them make you look around in the instructions to figure it out, and only tell you they have the 9, not including the half steps that get you 17. Countdown timers let you set an element to turn off after a time. Turns your cooktop into an automatic rice cooker or egg boiler. These are nice, but not essential. The rest is how you like the way the controls operate, etc., and if there are features like fry control or child lockout that you're looking for. The actual cooking on the most expensive unit vs. the low-mid-range is pretty small.

Some of the biggest cooking differences are in tolerance. Some units detect and work on less optimal pans, where others reject them, and some let you lift a pan off for a few seconds without turning off, while others shut off right away. I don't think that correlates much with price, other than that the higher end is potentially more responsive to consumer feedback, and "fixes" issues, and at the very low end, they may get the most out of an established technology before changing it.

For fridges, there is a significant difference in features when you get to the top tier, but there are many perfectly good refrigerators in the mid-range, and the cheapest one will keep stuff cold. On the cusp between the mid and high range are built-ins like the Thermador and Liebherr, which have a few less bells and whistles, but have the look and configuration that a lot of high end customers demand, with a more accessible price. If your wife really wants the combined unit, do get one with dual compressors. It makes a big difference. That said, most people are very happy with their mid-range fridges, and the fancy lighting, air and water filters, supercooling button, temperature zones, etc., while lovely to have, aren't really required to have a happy life.

Speedovens cost a lot more than microwaves. If you're going to use the features, they're great. I can say that my Advantium on MW only is the best microwave I've ever used. I suppose that is the mid-range, compared to the Miele, or especially the Turbochef. I think Electrolux and Thermador also have one now.

People here love Miele dishwashers, and seem just as happy, or happier with their mid-range models. The favorite American dishwasher (with heating element) seems to be the KitchenAid, which also has good entries in several different price points.

Ovens and hoods are the hardest ones. If you don't bake, you can probably make do with any oven, but they currently design ovens towards energy standards rather than for cooking. The mid-range favorites seem to be Fisher & Paykel (though one member had trouble with the enamel interior flaking from the self-clean cycle) and Electrolux. Gaggenau and Wolf seem to be the overall best rated ones, but they're definitely more expensive, and might be diminishing returns if you're not rabid about ovens.

For a standard induction cooktop, any 600 cfm hood is probably adequate unless you do a lot of high heat, multipot, frying, charring, boil-ups. Recommendation is to have a few extra inches of hood in all directions for best capture. Do check out make-up air requirements if your house is well sealed. Given the function of the hood and anything else in the HVAC that you need to address, the rest of the price is for looks. You can have the exterior be a piece of custom artwork, choose your own materials from a list for semi-custom, or buy one that comes in a box with a standard look that you like. I think they even have them at Costco. A little too much power is better than too little. Other differences are whether there are continuous controls (vs. a few settings--some people add a continuous control after market), lights that you like, and style of filter/easy of cleaning.

Conclusion, yes, I think you can find a sweet spot on pricing, but you'll have to evaluate what that is for each appliance you're looking at. Have fun shopping!

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

plllog (and everyone else,) what would be the mid-range, but not top tier, gas ranges or gas cooktops? Your advice is beyond helpful!!

• bbjap
    Original Author
    13 years ago

great advice plllog and others...

So what i'm hearing from plllog is that there are more differences in the higher end fridges than there are in induction stovetops dishwashers, etc.

For our own personal usage our family is less bakers, more roasters and braisers when it comes to ovens. So i guess i can save a bit here by not going with a gaggenau... tho my friend RAVES about his steam oven.

So since there may not be HUGE differences in induction cooktops, mid range ovens, hoods, DW, i'll look to spend a bit more dough on a nicer fridge...

Now comes down to focusing on individual models... i know there are a bunch of mail in rebates right now if i combine purchases with one brand, but i've always been one to choose the best for each individual function... tho i may end up with a piece meal kitchen. But the rebates may make me go with a family of appliances...

• plllog
    13 years ago

Actually, the biggest difference is in ovens. Fridges, dishwashers and induction cooktops have diminishing returns as they get more expensive. The tops of the lines have lots of nifty features, plus more likely to accept custom panels, but these are things you can live happily without and save a lot of money. (Says the person with the high end appliances. I love them, and their fancy features, and especially the panels, but I do recognize that they're not worth the money for most people.)

Dishwashers probably have just as many differences as fridges, but there are a heck of a lot of fancy settings on a lot of dishwashers that no one ever uses, so people are just as happy with their mid-range ones. There may also be a difference in how quiet the DW is (or the fridge, for that matter), and other less tangible features, that some folks are willing to pay extra for and which those who don't want to pay for them are quite willing to live without. The fewest differences seem to be in induction cooktops, unless you're looking to self import a "zoneless" one. :) Except the dual compressor thing. That's worth spending the extra bucks on the fridge-freezer for, for sure.

Oh, yes!! I have a Gaggenau combi-steam oven!! It is totally fabulous. It is so danged easy to blanch asparagus, for instance. I won't eat mushy asparagus, and it comes out perfectly in the steam oven. The "regenerate" setting is great for rewarming a plate of mixed foods so that they're all hot and none are overcooked or shriveled, or weird. And while my Gaggenau convection oven does roast and braise a treat, you can do just fine with a less precise oven. My number one priority in my remodel was the Gaggenau ovens, however. I waited to get the work done until I could have them do the digging for the plumbing. This is a major commitment. You can buy a high end range for the price of the combi-steam.

Big piece of advice--ignore the rebates unless they allow you to get just what you want. There is no single maker that does a good enough job of everything. Go with your set pattern and get the best that fits in your budget in each category. Really.

Jenny, Gas cooking is a whole different issue. I've heard (though haven't experienced) that the current gas ovens, especially the ones with convection, are pretty accurate and do a decent job. There are also dual fuel ranges, which have electric ovens. Sometimes those have problems with the heat causing problems for the electronics, but in general people like them. There are rangetops, which is the top section of a range with the knobs in front, and "drop-in" gas cooktops.

When you're choosing gas cooking, there's burner configuration, power output, burner size, open vs. closed, simmer ability, separate simmer ring/stacked burner, burner shape (ring, star, etc.), etc., etc. Are you talking mid-range residential style unit, pro-look, or pro-style? Those categories come with different price ranges.

I can't advise you about brands on these. Go to a website like Universal-AKB or AJMadison and take a look at what they're offering. Most of the mid-range stoves have the price posted. If it's "call for a quote" you can go ahead and call, but it's probably a high end unit.

• Susan Gress
    13 years ago

I was in your shoes last month, but I have made my decisions, based on experiences in this forum and, as stooxie wisely suggests, my own needs. It took a month of researching, but finally narrowed the list to what I want.
    I too was in love with the gaggenau steam oven, until I saw one in the showroom. Regardless of width, they are all the same size inside, which is too small to be of much use to me. That, and the $7,000 price tag, convinced me that steaming in a micowave works well enough.
    That said, I did want a combi-micro convection oven and a regular convection oven. Based on $ and the number of complaints on this forum with most models, I narrowed it down to Wolf and Miele. Wolf doesn't appear to make a combi model, which left MIele as a well made, low problem oven that performs very well.
    I have had subzero's in various homes for 20 years with never a problem, and must have in-door ice, so that decision was made.
    DW are easy to get caught up in sales talk and go for lots of features you won't use- i just want steel inside, adjustable top rack, and built in disposal, so you don't have to clean out the screen at the bottom. Kitchen aid works fine for me.
    Only have propane where new house is, so going with induction, will see if Miele gives me a break, if not I like the wolf unit.
    I am going to splurge on the Miele built in coffee maker- expensive, but to me more useful than the steam oven.
    Good Luck- let us know your choices!

• stooxie
    13 years ago

plllog is darn right on ignoring the rebates. That's coming at your decision completely backwards, i.e. looking at a price incentive and then trying to back in to an appliance package. Also true is that it's rare that one vendor makes everything just the way you like it.

I find the rebates are hardly worth it sometimes. Spend $10,000 and get $500 back!

bbjap, I think you could get some more specific help if you can start to narrow down what you are looking for. One approach might be to start with a vendor that has a ton of models like GE. They have everything from the cheapest builder grade stuff to their Monogram lines. That will give you a sense of what features start to show up at what price points.

Then, with that baseline, you can look at other vendors as well and see how they compare. All the while, start forming your list of "critical" and "optional." Once you have that a little more under control it becomes much easier to offer advice on what brands/models fit that mold.

-Stooxie

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I have been looking at appliances for years. i thought I was doing my kitchen about 10 years ago but I only recently finished my kitchen. While waiting, I kept on looking and keeping my eyes open and learning about appliances.

I spent my money on the integrated frig because the full integration was very worth it to me in the esthetics of the kitchen design. By the time I spent what I considered to be a "significant" amount of money on the cabinets, I did not want to look at the stainless refrigerator. BUT YMMV.... I did NOT want to see the ice dispenser on the frig. The price jump from a counter depth to fully integrated frig is $3000 or more with only minimally "more" function added to it, like plllog says! Not only that, the cabinet guy charges you for the panel....

Some of the brands can have the paneled refrig recessed from the side panels giving you that gorgeous furniture look. This truly is an esthetic purchase without any added functional benefit! Each person has different criteria for what is acceptable and what is not.

I also spent my money on the Miele Speed oven because I wanted a fully functioning second oven that doubled as MW to save space. Space consideration was driving the decision regarding 2 appliances, ie second oven plus the MW versus 1 that doubled as both!

Both of these "expensive" appliances perform beautifully for me and it was very worth it to me. I really looked hard trying to save money to get what I wanted on these two appliances but I could not...

I have had Miele, Asko, and Bosch DW... I took a new Bosch out of my house for performance issues that were less than optimal for me. The capacity was significantly less than the other brands. Sometimes, you just have to use the appliance to see how it works for you... I currently have a low to mid level Miele that replaced the "higher end" Bosch that I did not like. For me, Miele is performing better.

I am an occasional baker, not an experienced baker. So I was okay with the oven that came with the all gas range. My home made pizzas and bread come out crusty and well baked out of the gas range. I don't bake nor know how to bake multi layered cakes. I do bake muffins, cookies, easy cakes. I don't know what it is to have a super expensive oven! I have not tried to bake bread in my speed oven. I don't think it has enough oomph even though it is a 240V. I could be wrong.

One of the important things about good ovens is the heat recovery. I actually have a gas oven (all gas range) with 30k BTU burner. These ovens have amazing heat recovery. It probably is no where as accurate as the more expensive electric ovens. I am sure the temp goes up and down far more than acceptable for experienced bakers on the forum. (it seems steady enough to me but i just don't know)

Better electric ovens will have 10 pass, 12 pass broiler, again, giving you impressive broiling performance. I have infrared broiler in the gas oven which gives an amazing performance.

I think for me, the sweet spot in value is my heavy duty all gas range: 10 year old Viking range that I have LOVED and kept because I did not want to spend more money to replace what I already have and like. I would happily purchase another gas range, which is a value to me because it would be much more expensive to buy a comparable cooktop and a separate oven... I also like the esthetics of a range. I like the performance of a range when meats and fish go from the cooktop to the oven quickly.
    Hood: again, if you create a custom hood cover, then there is your budget that goes to the cabinet guy. Even though the insert may not be expensive, the total hood expenditure is high! Again, it is the esthetics driving your purchase decision.

Good luck.

• bbjap
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your help... i just posted another thread asking about the Fridge situation and hopefully if i break it down like stooxie suggests i'll get some great advice...

so fridge wise i'm looking at built ins' (counter depth just doesn't look right). so i'm looking at all in one's at 42-48".
    versus 2 separates AR/AF. but since i've already started another thread please post advice there.. =)

For cooktop. we've decided on a 36" induction top. Looking in the store there isn't too much differentiating the induction tops except for burner size and configuration. I like the electrolux 36" because it has 2 10" on the left and on the right with an 8" in the middle. But since i've never own'd induction before hoping that this is a good alignment. Other cooktops seem to have a large central burner at 11" flank'd by 7" or 8" burners... What do people think?...

For oven's since we're roaster's and not real baker's i think we won't need the WOLF's of the world. And while Steam oven's are intriguing, i'm thinking again VALUE wise i may want to try the countertop SHARP steam oven suggested in the forum as a good starting point before dropping much cash into a built in steam oven. Is this a good idea? So for oven wise i'm looking at a good convection oven, and maybe a nice Speed oven to obliviate the need for a MW. I haven't looked in too much detail here but any suggestions to a midrange convection oven and speed oven? Seems like the forum really likes Miele but i think that might be too expensive of a combo.

I really haven't looking into DW, hoods, and laundry yet so i'll just start with the above for now.

THANKS again soo much for everyone's opinion. this has been very valuable.

THANKS

• palomalou
    13 years ago

Wekick, what did you have prior to your Electrolux oven, and which Electrolux do you have? Are you referring to a wall oven or a range? Thanks!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

bbjap your post shows a good tactic for you. I think it also shows there IS a sweet spot and that the progression of value/price is curved not straight "linear".

If I had the time, i could illustrate with a few hundred examples. When you are spending in the range of $1000, going up in price by several hundred sometimes just doesn't get you much more value. Once you are looking at the multithousand dollar range what's a few hundred? Give or take a few hundred it's no big deal is it? ... ; - )

• plllog
    13 years ago

The Sharp, while it might be fine on its own terms, is nothing like a plumbed steam oven. If you think you like the Sharp, get it, but I don't believe it's a microwave. I don't think it'll tell you whether you'd like a steam oven.

Re the induction, I'm sure the Electrolux is very nice, but re burner size, measure your pots. I have one 7"-11" ring, one 8" and one 6.5". I have one occasion per year when I have two or more pots going that are too big for the 8". That's Seder, when I have a pot of matzah balls, a pot of soup, and a large pan of tzimmis all going at once. Then I'm using my gas for burner size overflow, rather than just number of pots.

Do you have any 12" or larger pots that would theoretically want the larger center ring? Do you customarily use several 9"-11" pots at once, for which having all those 10" rings will suit you best?

Remember, you're measuring the BOTTOM diameter of the pots, not the top.

Not arguing with your choice here. Just helping you to nail down the details.

Re ovens, look at the Electrolux too. People say good things about them.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

ditto.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50182620 is an induction cooktop with 2 variable size rings.

• amy2202
    13 years ago

bbjap, I am watching this post closely, We are in the same boat(see my post from early this week). We will be going with the single oven and combo micro built in. I just don't see the need to spend the big money on a speed oven. We are looking at a gas cooktop.

• wekick
    13 years ago

palomalou,
    I had the Dacor DF range and the Dacor wall oven with the Discovery controller, for about 7 mos. Replaced with Wolf DF range and Electrolux oven.

• djg1
    13 years ago

"plllog (and everyone else,) what would be the mid-range, but not top tier, gas ranges or gas cooktops? Your advice is beyond helpful!!"

I think that we're back to the very good prior suggestion that you identify features -- down to the most basic functional attributes -- that are most important to you. 4 burners or 6? 30" 36" 48"? Are you really keen to have a grill or some particular type or output burner?

In a range, something like a GE Cafe might be a nice jumping off point for somebody who likes a stainless range that has something of the pro-sumer-ish look to it, medium-high output sealed burners, etc. Getting something fundamentally different costs a bunch more money, not just a couple hundred bucks -- unless, of course, you find some screaming deal on a BlueStar, etc. That's a good sweet spot IF you want a 30" range and don't care about open burners, etc. The GE offers lots of features, but if it's not the type of thing you want, then it's not.

One thing to notice is that price differences tend to shrink as you move from range choices to range top choices to cook top choices. If you are happy with a 36" cook top (and there are reasons to prefer the range top, etc.), then you might find a lot of value-for-money in looking at the higher-end offerings. For example, a 36" BlueStar cook top can be had for a couple grand -- that's a substantial up-charge over something good from the middle of the range, but it's a much smaller absolute difference in price than you'd seen in looking at ranges. If you don't want the higher output open burners, then you don't and the extra expense may be wasted -- but if you want them, it's a way to get something that's actually different without adding 3 or 5 or 10k to your bill.

• akrogirl
    13 years ago

Keep an open mind and keep checking your major appliance dealers for bargains. I have managed to go Gaggenau/Thermador (Bosch DW) on almost everything for about half price, by carefully shopping floor models.

My latest scores were a Miele warming drawer for $99 and Thermador Freedom French door fridge for $4,750.

• kashmi
    13 years ago

This is in response to bbjap's question about where the burners/hobs are located on induction cooktops.

We, too, have been trying to decide "which cooktop." The best advice from folks on this forum was to consider how you cook now. For example, if you cook a lot of pasta, do you want to big burner toward the back for the big pot of boiling water? For us, we realized that when we're doing that, we also usually also make sauce and/or saute other ingredients in a large skillet. So we need two big burners, but not right next to each other. Also, we can't install a hood, so have to make do with a pop-up downdraft -- and the one we have now doesn't pull steam from front burners well. So that mandates a large back burner for us.

Just some (more!) things to think about.

• stephct
    13 years ago

Kashmi-
    I cook the same way...two large pots going at the same time and as of right now we have no ventilation so debating btwn hood and downdraft. Have you found a cooktop like you describe?

• kashmi
    13 years ago

Stephct: No. We are still dithering! Leaning toward the Bosch 36" -- got side tracked by the announcement of the new "no zone" Gaggenau Freeinduction (the Net is SUCH a time sink). Also looking at the Fagor and Wolfe 36" because of burner placement and sizes (and the no-SS options). A bit worried about the Wolf because of some reports of unresolved humming issues (though I think plllog would suggest the issue is more pan- than cooktop-related). If Miele had a second large burner near the back, it would also be on the short list -- though with all the good reviews, it still might be. Maybe we'll just put names in a hat and draw one! What are you considering?

• plllog
    13 years ago

True! But I've heard enough about the Wolf (though possibly resolved since) to think there might be a component of the hum that's in the unit. There is a certain distinctive whine which is always pans, but there can be other hums. :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm