SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynne_sjo

Question re 4' speakers/subwoofer in Avalon

Lynne_SJO
18 years ago

Hi guys:

I recently bought a new Lexus ES300 and hubby now has my Toyota Avalon. He/we listen to a lot of radio and CD's - jazz, classical, folk, classic rock, A tiny bit of modern rock, and talk shows. We have an Alpine stereo and an after market XM radio. Somehow, two of the original toyota-installed Avalon speakers blew, so we had all four replaced w Alpine 4" speakers, as this was the only size that would fit in the Toyota well size.

Needless to say, the sound is VERY disappointing. No bass at all. In fact, the installer instructed us that due to their small capacity, we should turn the bass to MINUS 2,or we could end up blowing the speakers again (we normally set it to zero or +1). He also indicated that the original speakers had great bass response because of some engineering tricks (My words, not his) that manufacturers use to fit small speakers in their cars while still getting good bass response.

Long story short, they are suggesting that we get a subwoofer installed in the trunk. When it comes to audio technology changes in the past 20 years, I am totally ignorant and have never owned anything with a subwoofer, unless maybe the new Lexus has one - I don't know. Thought they were for rap music. Little did I know!

Anyway, what to do think of the suggestion of this addition and do you think it will make a big difference in sound? If so, how does one select the "right" subwoofer for them and what kind of cost would we be talking about?

Thanks much,

Lynne

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets