SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunttomichael_gw

Would you change this? Marble Tile Question with Pics

aunttomichael
16 years ago

I didnÂt realize that white carrera could vary so much. I am renovating a hall bath, which will serve as a guest bath for visitors. The bath will also "belong" to my daughter, since my other daughter has a full bath off her room and we have a master bath.

My daughter loves the sea, and especially sharks. IÂve tried to make the bathroom a classic gray and blue, and will introduce the sea theme with towels, rugs, shower curtain, etc.

The vanity I picked has a polished carrera top, and I chose a honed carrera 2" hex tile. I got the tile from a tile store in the area. The walls are beadboard (partially), painted Donald Kaufmann 44, a pale blue. We have reglazed the original clawfoot tub and painted the outside F&B Lamp Room Gray.

So far, so good. But the tub is on an elevated part of the floor; you need to step up to get to it. My tile guy (who is also my carpenter, plumber, painter and an all-around great guy) spent a lot of time thinking about how to tile that area. He figured out that he could install two marble thresholds on the top and side of the steps.

He bought the thresholds from..somewhereÂnot sure, probably Lowes. But now that they are installed, I see that they look *so* different from the hex tiles. The hex tiles are pure white, with distinct gray coloring while the thresholds are sort of blurry white/gray carrera. The difference, coupled with the polished "blurry" look of the vanity, is making the room look like a marble mish-mash to me --- not what I envisioned.

Should I replace the thresholds and deal with the step another way? If so, what? Should I assume that the hex tile manufacturer would also make thresholds? How do we deal with the edge? My tile guy is infinitely patient and will re-do it, but I need to know what to ask him to do. He is not that experienced.

I donÂt know what IÂm doing here (obviously! Â IÂm sure IÂm using the wrong terms..) and so would appreciate any advice. If you tell me I should live with it, I happily will.

Thanks!

{{gwi:1400065}}

{{gwi:1400066}}

{{gwi:1400067}}

{{gwi:1400068}}

{{gwi:1400069}}

Comments (27)