SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckheadhillbilly_gw

retaining wall advice, please

buckheadhillbilly
14 years ago

We are going to have several retaining walls for our house site -- some quite tall. I've been mulling over what would look best and be most affordable. Our house will be white clapboard with black shutters and a brick foundation.

Today I went on a walk around my neighborhood and took stock of the retaining walls. I'm wondering about the relative merits of each.

The good old railroad tie retaining wall is hard to find these days. I guess it just doesn't last long enough, so people don't use it as much:

Stucco seems to be the next level up, although some people seem to dress it up close to the street and try to let vines cover it further back:

Several builders have touted "rubble" or "gravity" walls as being an economical alternative to a concrete wall that gets faced with stone. Here's one that's several years old:

This one is probably 40 years old, so it wears well:

The rock faced walls are lovely, but I'm afraid they are out of my price range:

Then there are brick walls -- painted:

or plain:

So, what does one need to know about retaining walls? What are the pitfalls? Are there different types of walls for different application? Are some better for holding fill dirt and others for lining a cut?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Comments (3)