SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annindc

black marble/granite mix-up

annindc
16 years ago

Ack- the 2x2 polished black granite tiles I ordered for the shower floor turned out to be black marble instead. Found this out after they were installed and I saw lots of scratches on the floor from the contractor's tools (small bathroom with lots of work to do, and he would store his things there every night, usually on top of a thick drop-clothe). When we took a closer look at the tiles, we saw how easily scratched the tiles are. The tile store investigated and found out that their vendor did indeed give them marble and not granite, and didn't tell them. Removing the marble and replacing it with granite is going to take lots of work. The granite tiles are slightly thicker than the marble tiles. This is a problem for two reasons: 1) as a design element, there is a 12" wide stripe of glass tile running through the middle of the floor; GC spent quite some time making sure that the glass tiles and the 2x2 tiles were the same height, and 2) the walls are onyx, which my GC said might crack when he's removing the marble tiles. My position is that the tile store needs to make me right, even if that means ripping up the whole floor, and paying for additional onyx and glass tiles (which was really expensive and which I didn't purchase from them). The tile store was initially willing to pay to redo the 2x2 tiles, but I'm sensing resistance now that they've seen a picture of the shower and understand the extent of work and materials that will be needed. Anybody else ever had a mistake like this, and what was the outcome? On a practical note, could I switch to 2x2 black porcelain tiles (if there is such a thing)? They'd be thinner than the current marble tiles, which my GC said would make the job much easier. My decorator thinks that the porcelain would also scratch easily, but I thought that porcelain was supposed to be really durable. Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments (7)