SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onewomanarmy_gw

Master bath help

12 years ago

Hi -

I've been soaking up the info on this forum for a while now while I've been trying to figure out what we're going to do about our master bath when it occurred to me that there are a lot of people here with good ideas and experiences. We're just in the pre-planning stages right now, trying to come up with some ideas and possibilities.

Attached is the current layout. The total length of the room is 152" and approx 96" wide (I've forgotten the exact number but this is close). The only exterior wall is the one with the windows (somewhat of a bay window). The bay window is supported all the way to the foundation (ie it's not an overhang without exterior support). There is a full basement below. The door to the sunroom will be removed and filled in. Currrently has a jetted tub which we never use. Toilet between the tub and the shower (fiberglass). Double vanity on the other wall.

Current Plan/Thinking:

We'll do away with the tub altogether. We don't use it and plan on being here a while so don't care about resale. We'd also tear out the "stumps" at either end of the tub. We'd like to put the shower here but aren't completely sure what to do with the windows. I'm thinking we'll raise the bottoms of the windows and use some sort of frosted glass or blocks. Any suggestions are welcome though.

We're thinking about putting some sort of floor to ceiling cabinets where the tub "stumps" are right now in order to square up the shower and give us additional storage. We'd also, if possible, move the toilet over some (towards where the shower is currently) so we can make the shower deeper. We'd move the vanity to the same side of the room as the toilet.

One thing we're trying to keep in mind is keeping the space so it's easily modified or usable with a wheelchair. My partner has Multiple Sclerosis and so there is a really good chance that a wheelchair will be needed at some point. We've gone back and forth as to whether we make it completely wheelchair accessible right now or just make it so that it's easily adapted when necessary. This thinking is partially why I'm leaning towards the vanity on the toilet side of the wall even though that means moving plumbing.

Sorry for the long discussion - just trying to figure out what our options are. If anyone has any suggestions or examples of how you've incorporated a bay window type of situation into a shower, I'd love to see it. I see them all the time with tubs - not so much with showers. Finish-wise, we really like stones/rocks/etc - bringing nature inside - so I'm also looking for ideas there too.

Sorry for the poor drawing - I had mainly just jotted it down to think over some ideas. Not sure it will translate well to board viewing.

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Comments (7)