SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

GE Cafe installed today: everything seems to work!

tetrazzini
16 years ago

I've been reading about problems with this range ever since we bought it, and I'd pretty much assumed we'd be in for some trouble once it was installed. I was particularly convinced we'd have a problem with the stacked burner. But we don't!!

The gas line installer, who seemed very experienced, said he'd never had a harder time installing a propane conversion, because of the shape of the back of the range. He said the range designers don't seem to take propane conversions into consideration when they design gas stoves these days, and the location given in the manual for the gas inlet wouldn't work. So my shackles were already up, and I was ready for a list of problems.

All the burners work fine, but the back two are a little loud. It seems like you can hear them working. The front two are silent. There's a nice, high flame on the right power burner (stacked) and it graduates down nicely to very low -- the point where the top burner goes out and tiny flames come out of the bottom only. It boiled water in a 3-quart pot much faster than our old electric stove. The center burner is indeed very low, but when I put the griddle in place, its (low) flames touch the burner. I cooked one slice of french toast on it. This seemed a little slower than I'm used to, but it was like cooking on a low setting. It did cook nicely tho. I'm going to experiment with an antique cast iron griddle, both on top of the grates and directly on the burner, if possible. I don't like non-stick cookware.

The exterior and interior finish is in perfect condition, as far as I can tell, no dents or scratches. The oven doors are fine. One of the oven racks slides less smoothly than the other two, but this is minor to me.

We've got 100% humidity today, and our range hood isn't installed yet, so I was hesitant to turn the ovens on. (You're supposed to let the ovens burn off without food in them before using.) But I tried it, and there was only minor odor coming from them. (I'm very sensitive to odors, so I was happy with that.) When I opened the oven door, you could see some smoke, but it didn't leak out when the doors were closed.

The main oven, to my amazement, went from cold to 350 degrees in 4 minutes!! The bottom oven went to 450 in under 18 minutes. I didn't even check at first because I've read some people say it takes 45 minutes or so. But after 18 minutes I noticed it had already reached temp on my cheap little oven thermometer. (there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing when it reaches the set temp without one of these. Or am I missing something?)

The one thing I did notice is an inconsistency between my cheapo oven thermometer and the settings of the ovens. The main oven wasn't reading as high as the electronic readout indicated. Not sure which was wrong. The lower oven showed a higher temp than I set it for.... I'll have to get a better thermometer, because I don't know how accurate it is.

Lastly, the fan noise during convection was barely noticeable until it reached a certain temp (around 400 deg.) then it got a little louder, and stayed on for a long time. But it wasn't intrusively loud; I'd still consider it "fairly quiet."

I just cooked a vegetable stir fry in my 14" flat-bottomed wok, on power boil. It worked out really well!

So far everything seems OK, but I"ll have to test the oven more carefully. Granted, I"ve had a VERY old electric cooktop and oven (their avocado green color gives you an idea) until today, so my happiness is due to the fact that it's actually working as it should, rather than to a comparison with any range made in the last 25 years!

So, while there definitely are too many problems with this model, based on what I read here, I'm happy to say that not ALL of them are flawed. At least so it seems as of now....

Comments (4)