SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinka_fido

Help identify couple plates,platter,bowl&goblet

Katrinka_Fido
12 years ago

Still weeding out an estate so bare with my asking. I have googled til my eyes are blood shot. Can anyone identify the lettering above the ITALY & is the other green lettering possibly a date and Gallo anybody? identify the pattern or maker or era on the rounded 8" square plates(no marking-looks retro). Ditto on 11" divided platter. 5"Hx6 1/2W bowl does have a number 10 on bottom. The 7 1/2" goblet has no mark. Iv'e searched the replacements site, ebay, several others with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    12 years ago

The Gallo plate is one of the many "hand painted Italy" items that were popular about 1960 to the present. Rarely dated, not expensive and Gallo may be the name of the maker or the pattern.
    don't know about the rounded glass plate...or is it a bowl? How big is it?
    The pinkish swirl plate appears depression era.....what may be called fancy....rather than what was sold in patterns as place settings.
    The swirl bowl came from a florist with flowers....I have it's twin....not anything special but a useful size.
    The bottom pink with clear stem is also depression era probably one of the better makers...maybe Fostoria or Cambridge.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Is there a chicken depicted on the "Italy" piece?

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Linda, the Gallo? plate doesn't appear to be 'hand painted' unless they did that before glazing since surface is smooth, usually I see hand painting applied last. front is a funky, ick multi color skinny rooster. I take it you cant make out the 2 letters above ITALY either. 2nd photo is squared center base framed by a rounded square shape 8" diameter only 1/2" deep...maybe luncheon, found 12 of these-do you think maybe Mid cent(not a mark one)? As far as the swirl bowl (I did use it for tulips last spring&floated roses also)...is the #10 representative of anything? I've seen some Hazel Atlas stuff with numbers but cant find this one which I do like. And as for the goblets...I do like these, have a few all clear & 6 pink. I'll search Fostoria & Cambridge-keeping these. Family seemed to recycle alot of this old stuff(I mean like the depression era stuff) NOT the rooster. Just want to make sure I'm not discarding anything that may be worth anything. I do like dating things, makes me think what life or hands it passed through prior. Thanks again

• Fori
    12 years ago

FP maybe? I dunno, but I bet "Gallo" is the name of the pattern.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

"Gallo" means rooster in Italian -- so PP is right; it's the name of the pattern or at least subject.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Yep..."rooster plate." Actually hand decorated may be more to your understanding...most often under the glaze....
    Yu have a dozen of those plates?...Somehow I can't visualize them as plates.....like earlier than 1950....if that's what you mean by mid century.

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda when you said hand painted I was thinking...as in when 'ladies' hand painted the little much older pretty plates which I can actually feel the raised paint, not smooth like this butt ugly GALLO. Can hardly believe this was in moms stuff(had to of been a gag gifted to her). I did find a couple close to it on ebay-they named as majolica blah blah with a TOTALLY rediculous price but none show the back side-probably same as this target practice piece. Anyway as far as the other 12, yes I was thinking around 50's. They were in an old Boyds box from St Louis but I think that place was something along the line of textile fabric business. So am I off that much from 50's? Well, I still have 2 trunks to unload & then I'll tackle the furniture-got a couple odd balls in the garage that just may stump you...but I hope not. Many thanks to all again.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Let's see pictures of those "Gallo" plates that there are 12 of.....the mark doesn't say "old Italian majolica" but they may be a lot nicer than you think.

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only have 1 rooster plate. 12 of the square plates.