SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiveunderfive_gw

2 unrelated q's - 2nd floor laundry and floor vacuum vent

fiveunderfive
13 years ago

We are finalizing the plans for our dream house build. 2 things came up that I wanted to ask you "experts" about.

- 2nd floor laundry

I have been SO excited about this prospect. We have 5 kids with another one the way, so our family generates a TON of laundry. In our current house it is on the main floor and we have a laundry chute, so getting the laundry there isn't a problem, but I hate carting it all back upstairs. In the new plans, the laundry room (which, BTW, has room for 4 top loading w/d) is right outside of the girls "dorm" walk-in closet. We have 4 girls already, so they have a large dorm style bed and bathroom. I suspect they will be generating the majority of laundry, so I am excited about the w/d being right outside of their closet. I may even adopt the "Duggers Laundry" (family with 19 kids) where they hang most of the clothes, and assign a basket for each child's socks and underwear. Anyways...several people on another message board raised concerns about 2nd floor laundry rooms stating that the entire house shakes when the washer spins. Is there any way to prevent this? More floor support? Sound proofing? Our builder did suggest a tile floor with an in floor drain, and DH has looked into a water alarm. The plan clearly has teh 2 sets of w/d spelled out, but should I bring it up again with the builder to make sure the area is properly supported to prevent/minimize shaking? Any other suggestions?

And entirely unrelated -

Have any of you heard about in floor vents that are connected to a canister or vacuum of sorts, that is not necessarily a whole house vac? DH is completely opposed to a central vac, which is fine. But some others mentioned a vent in the floor (one was against a wall, one was under an island) that they can sweep all the kitchen floor mess into and it is sucked away, presumably to some central location for disposing. Any ideas? My kids are MESSY and I broom under the kitchen table after EVERY.SINGLE.MEAL. I would LOVE something like this for the kitchen and maybe even the dining room. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (7)