SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johndee22

Looking for 42" hood insert with wall switch

johndee22
10 years ago

Situation is pretty unique. There will be no wall cabinets, just row of base cabinets. 6ft on left side of the window, 6ft window with sink below it and 6ft on the right side of the window, with stove. Plan on slate tile backsplash all the way up. Range will be 36" NXR from Costco (all gas).

As we wanted to achieve clean wall looks, without any cabinetry or hoods hanging down and there is no way to vent a stove from 9' ceiling, my DW came with idea of crafting a copper wrapped overhang (or a small pitched roof) on entire width of the kitchen (18 feet). It can be as deep as necessary and besides hood itself, it will host some additional lighting.

We would like to keep it in a single line, if possible, and the biggest restricting factor is the window (4' high x 6' wide), which top jamb will be 18" from the finished ceiling and bottom jamb ~5" above the cooking surface.

So single line roof would have to be quite high, about 53" above the stove, which is a lot, I know.

On one hand we want to see as much tile as possible and on the other side, hood has to be low enough to do it's job. I consider breaking the line of the copper roof and installing it lower on both sides of the window (with one of these sides having stove) and higher above the window.

I have been looking at 42" 900cfm + hoods. I like Kobe for their low noise solutions. I could consider 48". Want to keep the $$ in sane level ($1,500 would be the max)

This still doesn't change another issue - controls. Because my DW is fairly short, there is no way she would be able to reach the controls on the hood itself. Hence, the need for hood that comes with wall mount (not handheld remote) controls.

1. So, any suggestions for a hood that can be completely enclosed (don't want to see any SS on it's side), that has proper baffles and comes with wall controls?
2. Particular CFM requirements for 36" NXR?
3. Maximum height of the hood above the stove with given CFMs?

Comments (14)