SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutherokie_gw

Retain Architect or Psychoanalyst?

nutherokie_gw
16 years ago

Hello, IÂve commented a time or two but this is my first original post. Sorry I couldnÂt make my debut a bit shorter. IÂm looking for input on the style of house IÂm considering for the pretty 20-acres we bought for our horses at the edge of a very small town.

For the last 16 years, weÂve lived in a 1920s tudor in Oklahoma City, and I dearly love the details from the turn of the 20th Century up through the 1930s or so. We searched for an older house in the country without success, so IÂd like to incorporate period details into our new build.

Now IÂm torn between a single-storey brick/stone European country "tudor-ish" plan and a Victorian plan. My furnishings and 1920s light fixture collection would be right at home in the European country plan. But, there are a handful of fairly simple old white Victorian farmhouses around the area and to me they just seem to fit the site. That style would also allow for wonderful porches to enjoy the view of the creek and the horses grazing. IÂm nervous though. The few modern "Victorians" IÂve seen built in these parts are downright awful. Is the style just too "costumey" -- for lack of a better word  to pull off successfully? I fear IÂve looked at so many plans that IÂve lost my perspective and objectivity.

It is with enormous trepidation that I post a photo of a house built from a plan IÂm considering as our jumping off point. IÂd really appreciate input on whether it could be "tweaked" to make it more appealing in general and more appropriate to a farm-like setting in particular. Of course, IÂd also like to hear if you all think it falls into that "awful" category I mentioned. IÂll also post the floorplan, but IÂd make substantial alterations -- detaching the garage and putting it off the kitchen side of the house for starters.

Whew! I didn't expect posting this to be so traumatic. It's like one of those dreams where you're trapped at school naked! I await your feedback with fear and trembling. Thanks.

{{gwi:1403329}}

Comments (5)