SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alicia58801

Where is this smell coming from?

alicia58801
14 years ago

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I thought I'd try...

We've been in our newly constructed house since September and everything has been great, until the last month or so. About a month ago, when the weather turned really cold, we started smelling this stinky smell, like a poopy diaper, coming from the basement. Our first thought was sewer gas, but we've been diligent about filling the water traps in the basement drains. So then my husband got up on the roof to check the sewer vents. They had the crystal cones, but weren't completely iced over.

We had the plumber come out and check things over. He claimed that it didn't smell like sewer gas, that it wasn't the strong methane smell that comes with sewer gas. But he didn't have any more suggestions for us as to where it might be coming from, other than to check and make sure there wasn't a dead mouse or something in the basement. Checked everything over...no dead animals.

The smell seems to be stronger along one basement wall. On the other side of that wall is our septic tank (we are rural). Could there be any connection there? It seems to get worse on the really cold days, but other than that we can't find a pattern to it. It comes and goes.

Any other ideas where this might be coming from?

Thanks so much.

Comments (8)