SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chipshot_gw

Clueless about their own kitchen

chipshot
16 years ago

DS had a sleepover at a friend's house this past weekend, and DW and I visited with the parents for a while and helped them serve dinner to the kids.

They have been renovating the home for several years while living in it, and the kitchen was one of the first things done. The appliances are all "high-end" (including Wolf 48" rangetop with french top, two Wolf L-Series ovens in island, two Wolf warming drawers, two Sub-Zero 700's, and two pairs of F-P dish drawers).

When I asked whether they leave their oven controls exposed all the time, they had no idea what I meant. So I pressed one of the buttons and showed them. For a moment I thought they were going to gasp and applaud. Then I asked how they chose between sealed and open burners. Another blank look in response. I explained why I chose open, and when I pulled out the drip tray the wife said "I didn't know it did that".

The wife confessed that she really didn't like her French top (though she seemed to understand its function well) and found her dish drawers inconvenient. The husband pointed out the telephone next to the rangetop and said "that's how we do most of our cooking".

Though I found myself curious about their laundry room(s), I decided it was time to switch to another subject (but made a mental note to post about it here). I wonder how many folks out there are similarly clueless about their kitchens. My guess is that this family's interior (or kitchen) designer chose everything for them, just the opposite of most everyone here.

In case you're curious what they fed the kids, it was (surprise, surprise) carry-out pizza.

Comments (29)