SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrice607

Political scams targeting seniors

patrice607
9 years ago

My 90 year old parents live in a senior community. They get so much mail it's easier to weigh it than count it. Most are political fear mongering super pacs. "Save Social Security!" "Stop congress from defunding Medicare!" "Stop Obama from giving Social Security to illegal aliens!" I have talked to them many many times explaining that the super pacs use these scare tactics to target seniors for donations. Most of the money is never used for the advertised purpose but goes to administrative costs and foreign bank accounts. She has been sending checks monthly to an organization that promises to fight for a $5,000 lump settlement for the "notch victims". A group of seniors who have supposedly been cheated on their social security checks. I researched this and found that my parents are not even in the group in question (those born between 1917 and 1921) and that AARP has investigated and believes that no one was cheated. Mom asked, "then why am I getting all this mail if I'm not in the notch?" I told her, " it's because you write checks, Mom!" I contacted the post office and filled out a form to stop all non-essential mail. It hasn't made a difference yet. Outside of taking her check book away or rerouting her mail to my address, is there a way to protect them from these scammers?

Comments (10)

Sponsored