SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aknall_gw

Tile - Porcelain or Ceramic? Manufacturers?

aknall
10 years ago

I am sooo confused at this point. My GC does not have a preference for our floor or shower tile (he's done other projects for us before and always offers his opinion on materials/alternatives). Because of him, we are now considering a custom CM shower pan instead of a tile shower floor. Basically same price, not as pretty, but DH likes the idea of no leaking. (I can live with this.) I know that porcelain is harder than ceramic tile and is more water resistant, but other than that, I am clueless. This will be for our master bathroom... just DH and me, and we're not in the habit of dropping stuff, so I don't really know if the hardness of the tile is a real factor here. Also, I'm working with a budget, so price is a consideration. My house is not grand, but the MBath is poorly laid out and builder grade (not to mention carpeted) so I don't want to over do it. Are here any tile manufacturers that I should try to avoid? I want to get a creamy travertine look with not too much pattern. I've found a Daltile ceramic that I like, but don't know if I'll regret not looking a little harder for a similar porcelain product. Any bit of help here is greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)