SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

school desk

prairie_love
14 years ago

Hi all,

My first time to this forum and I hope you all can help me out. We are trying to get rd of several items, some of which we believe may have some value. I just don't know how to go about finding out if they are worth anything and if so, how much? Here's an example. Maybe you all can tell me what to do.

We have these two old desks (pictures below). I really don't know much about them, but they do have the "A.H. Andrews & Co.) on them. When I look up that company I find this information from the Encyclopedia of Chicago:

"This furniture company was founded in 1865 by Alfred H. Andrews, a Connecticut native who moved to Chicago in 1857. By the end of the 1860s, Andrews employed about 70 men, who made about $150,000 worth of furniture each year. By the beginning of the 1880s, A. H. Andrews & Co. had become the largest firm in the city's robust furniture industry, employing about 500 people and manufacturing about $600,000 worth of school and office furniture each year. During the 1880s, the company opened branches in New York, Philadelphia, and Boston. Andrews & Co. started to produce metal furniture in the early 1890s, but it entered bankruptcy and went into decline soon thereafter."

Given that this company apparently went bankrupt about 1900, I would assume that these desks are at least 100 years old. Wouldn't that give them some value? But how do I find what the value is and how do I market them? I have done many searches on google and not found much except ONE site with a similar desk (more ornate) for $160 (http://www.crowtrading.com/inventory/item_pages/FU1004.htm)

I just don't know how to proceed. And I have more items, many glass, to deal with as well (but that will wait for a further post).

Thanks for any help.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH