SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elinick_gw

BlueStar / EuroStoves Purchase Mini-Blog

elinick
15 years ago

Hello to my fellow GardenWeb-ers and Web-ettes,

I post this to help pay-forward the knowledge and experience I gained from forum.

My situation: The KitchenAid 30-inch drop-in electric range that came with my home finally suffered un-repairable damage. Although this is not the best of times for spending significant bucks, I was happy to replace this electric cooktop. This particular vintage of range was designed to be an upgrade from the traditional electric coils in porcelain bowels and consists of round cast iron plates set in, although just above, a solid glass top. The idea was that it would make cleaning easier. In short; I hated it from day I moved in. I have always been a gas person and I have looked forward to going back to gas. As I started to shop, I realized that I was out of touch with the current state of cooking ranges. In retrospect, I realized that my experience was with my motherÂs old open burner stove. Everything I saw in the stores initially were closed burner designs. At first this seemed very appealing. I do remember drip trays and cleaning MomÂs old stove. Then I stumbled into a high-end designer store where I became introduced to the Wolf and Viking lines of Âprosumer ranges. Having played in stores that had live stoves, I quickly saw the benefits of traditional open burner designs. I think open burners offer a superior cooking experience and in the long run the stove will look much better, much longer with no cleaning penalty.

Then I turned to the Internet for additional research. I had stumbled on the GardenWeb forums many years ago researching some other stuff. For those that donÂt know this is one of the best resources on the web. In short my eyes were opened to other vendors, most importantly of these was BlueStar. I probably spent 40 or more hours researching my purchase. Having read the good, bad and ugly I settled on the BlueStar 30 inch RNB with island trim and a window-less door option.

Alas, although there are dozens of local appliance stores in my area (San Jose, CA) BlueStar is not very common. I really wanted to do business with a local dealer but I was very disappointed with the BlueStar dealers in my area. Out of frustration I considered buying on the Internet. IÂm pretty Internet savvy, but I was very apprehensive about buying a range this way. I noticed consistently high quality postings by Trevor Lawson at Eurostoves on this forum. I called Trevor and after several conversations I decided to buy from him. Despite being 2 or 3 thousand miles away, I am quite convinced that he is able and willing to deliver a service level above and beyond anyone local to me.

My current drop-in is built into a counter and the move to a freestanding range is going to require significant modifications to my cabinetry and counter. I also need to bring a gas line over and change the electrical. I officially ordered my stove from Eurostoves on Friday February 27th. The initial estimate for delivery is between 4 and 6 weeks. This should allow enough time to get the old range out and the location ready for the new BlueStar.

This posting will be a mini-blog of my experience. (wish me luck) âº

Comments (22)