SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildinginnc_14

New to Building-Scared to Pieces-What to choose?

buildinginnc.14
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and new to building. I've always bought existing homes because the process scares me to pieces. But now we have decided on a piece of land we couldn't pass on because of the location and views and are SCARED but excited to actually build our own home. This is not a home we plan to flip and sale within a few years. We are hoping to grow into retirement with this home. I've been checking around on cost per foot on average for basements, garages etc. I know everything varies wildly depending on the work needed done to install a basement but just bear with me on that.

Land is in NC. While pricing out "estimated" with cost cushion of course we are trying to decide to go the basement route or the attached garage bonus room route. Fiance likes basement best. I grew up in the north where most homes basement was standard. They always seemed cold to me, had sump pumps, moisture was always an issue and my opinion has been at the end of the day a basement is a basement no matter how you finish it out.

We want the extra square footage to serve as a man cave (can't believe I admitted that) so either the bonus room or the basement would be finished. We are looking at three options
1. Two car garage with finished bonus attached to house
2. Fully finished basement add garage later
3. Garage/Basement (where the garage is under the house connected to the basement)

The lot is a good slope as to easily do a basement so it wouldn't be an entirely flat piece to dig down.

I've read so many opinion on here...go with the basement you can never add it later to the basements are always a basement go with above ground square footage.

I don't want to sink $60k into getting both because from a realistic standpoint only one option is really needed and sufficient.

Really looking for ideas on what you chose and why and if you would have done differently. Your advice is so valuable to me. Also if NC please let me know because I know opinions on this topic can vary greatly by region. In NC basements are not that common whereas in OH they are etc.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (11)