SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

3-yr old convection microwave stopped heating (Electrolux)

try_hard
13 years ago

Hello,

I have a 3-year old Electrolux convection microwave. (I wrote this post about my appliances 2 years ago: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0411241413810.html)

On Sunday, after working flawlessly since installation, my convection microwave will not heat, either in convection oven mode or in microwave mode. The light works, the turntable spins, and the oven makes all the same noises (fan blowing, etc.) as usual, but preheating for convection cooking does not warm the interior. I then tried to microwave some cold water in a glass measuring cup and it was still cold after 3 minutes. I turned off the breaker, waited a minute, and turned it back on. No change to the situation. I don't smell anything burning or hear any odd noises coming from the built-in cabinet.

I have never before experienced a malfunctioning microwave. Does anyone have any educated guesses on what could be the problem? I would love to have an idea of the potential problem before I call for a service call so I know what I'm getting into. Also, does anyone know approximately what a service call costs? This was not a cheap microwave so I'm sure it would be worth a few hundred bucks to fix it (as opposed to replacing it with a new convection microwave).

I appreciate any suggestions!

try_hard

Comments (7)