SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derekgw

how do DW manufacturers measure volume levels?

Derek87
12 years ago

i'm curious...

we just replaced a GE Profile that supposedly was a 58db model, but in reality when going full bore, was about 70db standing in front of the dishwasher when it was doing it's "grinding thing."

our new Bosch we received yesterday is rated at 42db. it's MUCH quieter than the GE but by measurement, it still is in the low 50s at its loudest when water is hitting against a metal bowl inside the dishwasher and i didn't measure the sound level when it drains into the sink above the disposer, but i'm guessing that too is above 42db.

are these ratings largely a function of the ability of the cabinet/floor to absorb noise, etc? it would seem that where a dishwasher is installed would play pretty big role.

on the other hand, it seems uniform testing/spec would take a unit freestanding on a floor and put a mike/sound level meter X feet away and measure the volume. maybe the 42/58 db ratings we see on our two different dishwashers are from some distance closer to 5-10 feet?

not complaining, really...this is more just curiousity. funny thing: while i definitely know the DW is on now, even with the Bosch, when the fridge is running, i now notice how loud it is, not the Bosch dishwasher. that's progress! :)

Comments (4)