SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liketolearn_gw

Painted Antique Basket ... identify?

liketolearn
16 years ago

I have a rather old basket that I'm trying to identify but not having much luck. Can anyone help or suggest places to check?

The basket belonged to my mom who go it from her mom. The basket is rectangular, has a flat lid (not attached), and no handles. It's a good size at 13-1/2"L x 8-1/2"W x 7-1/2"H. It looks to be made of a wood material rather than a weed material.

The exterior is painted on the sides and lid (not the bottom or interior). Some paint has worn off mainly at the side-corners of the basket. The base color on the basket and lid is a barn red. The basket top-edge and basket lid edge is painted black. The lid and the two long sides of the basket have large painted yellow flower with green leaves centered.

At one time the basket had a fabric lining making me think it may have been a sewing basket. Many years ago (at least 35 years ago) the fabric lining just fell apart from age and was removed. Under the lining was a folded newpaper page from 1908 so I think this basket is rather old. If the paper was relatively current when the lining was put in the cotton fabric was about 65 years old when it fell apart. The lid still has the fabric lining. The lining is a very frail cotton fabric handsewn to the lid.

I'd like to identify this basket better to know:

~ it's age,

~ what kind of basket (sewing basket?),

~ type of material it's made with?

~ and some estimate of value.

I have not found any similiar basket listed on Ebay. And have not found any website that shows basket examples to help me identify the material, age, value. If it helps our family (past and present) lives in eastern PA so likely the basket originated in this area.

Any antique basket collectors / dealers that can help at all?

Comments (10)