SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wannaflower

1940 Franciscan Ware Coronado Swirl, dishwasher safe?

wannaflower
9 years ago

I ran across some Franciscan ware dishes at a local antique mall. They are plain, pastel colors (blue, pink, yellow & cream) with a "swirl" pattern. The style is "Coronado Swirl". There is no gold, or decoration on them. Does anybody know if they are dishwasher safe? Also, are they safe to use every day, or is there lead in the glaze?

Any info would help. I no longer like my current dish set & am looking to replace with something else. I like the simple beauty & size of these dishes.

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

It's probably not dishwasher safe - most pottery of that era is not.

I have seen similar swirled-rim earthenware at various places like Crate and Barrel, World Market, etc.

• anoriginal
    9 years ago

I'm also thinking probably NOT good to go in dishwasher. WHO had a dishwasher back in the 40's? Thinking most restaurants (unless big, high-end places) probably had HUMAN dishwashers then??

• gfderms
    2 years ago

I have a beautiful set and they are dishwasher safe.

• lindac92
    2 years ago

I would put them in the dishwasher but not the dry cycle. It's that heat plus any detergent residue that clouds glass and dulls dishes

And I knew 2 families that had a dishwasher in the 40's.

• HU-808871536
    11 months ago

I have a full set if these, does anyone know how much theyre worth? im boxing and saving to hand down but want to know more about them. thanks!