SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bnicebkind

how do I darken mahogany without refinishing?

bnicebkind
17 years ago

I am entering this on antique, because I know some of you refinish your antique finds, and are quite good at it. I finally gave up (sort of) of trying to find these chairs I wanted in antique, and I just bought reproduction, so that our house does not look so bare. If I ever find the antique ones I wanted, I will resell these. Anyway, I just received the chairs. The store model of the chair was a dark brown mahogany, which I really like. What arrived was more of the mohogany with the reddish tones, which I am not really crazy about. I do not want to refinsh the chairs...however, I wondered if I can just lightly touch on a bit of dark brown stain, over what is there, and not get into sanding or refinishing these new reproduction chairs that I bought from an antique shop that deals in both antiques and reproduction. Another thought would be to add a few drops of stain to furniture polish, but I am worried that it will end up rubbing off on someones clothes if they sit in the chairs 3 months from now...that somehow, that may not cure properly or something. Any quick touchups or ideas? By the way, the reddish tones only show here and there, not the whole chair, and it is not bad, I would just prefer no red tones at all.

Comments (13)