SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erinc_gw

Bathtubs

ErinC
11 years ago

Hello all,

Newbie posting here. I am adding a jack-and-jill bathroom between my two kids' rooms. I'm having a hard time deciding on a bathtub. I'd always assumed I'd want cast iron -- it's what I've always had until I moved into this house (our hall bath has a very cheap, very horrible acrylic tub). But I'm not sure that's the best choice for me.

My kids are now teenagers, and I doubt they'll be taking many baths. We're really only adding a tub because it's expected that you have a tub in a kids' bathroom, for resale. It's going to be a shower over tub, 3 wall alcove installation. So it will get used everyday when my kids shower.

Question 1: Do I go with cast iron, for durability? If not, something else? The only downside for me would be cost. I have a single story house, so it's not like the tub would have to be carried upstairs or anything.

Question 2: If cast iron, which tub do I go with -- the basic Kohler Villager tub? Something else? I like the looks of the Kohler Bellwether, but saw another thread on here with some concerns about the design. Do I go with just the low 14" tub height?

If this was for my master bath I'd probably want a deeper tub, but since this is just a kids' bath I think the lower height would be better (thinking of someone bathing toddlers for example).

I would appreciate any things you all might have on my dilemma!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living