SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamajane_gw

Tiling over painted MDF beadboard

mamajane
10 years ago

I have a bathroom where painted (latex) MDF (not solid wood) beadboard goes down one wall and behind the end of the vanity. The vanity bumps right up next to it. The vanity has no backsplash and I'd like to tile just one row of ceramic tile on the back under the mirror (regular painted drywall) and on that beadboard wall.

I can't find much online about my problem. If I tear out that beadboard it is a major demo where the vanity would have to come out, and that sucker is heavy. A few threads online suggest taking the beadboard out and replacing with cement backer board, but that seems really excessive for a simple, mostly decorative bathroom backsplash. It's not an overly wet area - even though it's in the bathroom. Even if the kids splash it doesn't flood the counter or anything.

Can I just use some mastic glue or something to get the tiles to adhere to the beadboard (rather than thinset, which I imagine is going to be a headache with the beads and channels in the beadboard)? Then grout... I think if I tape off the top so the grout doesn't get messy in the beadboard crevices, I can make the grout look neat.

The other thing I read was that the beadboard could swell slightly with steam or the changing of the seasons. I can see solid wood beadboard do that, but MDF? I have had swelling occur with MDF beadboard when the ends weren't concealed, but those are far beneath the vanity, and extend up high to 3 feet from the ceiling.

What say ye?

Comments (9)