SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Unusual Glass Vase - Any Ideas?

sweeby
16 years ago

My mother recently passed along this lovely glass vase. All I know is that it's been in the family since 1914 and that it was purchased at the estate sale of a prominant midwestern man who was much admired by the family member who purchased it.

It's 10.5" tall, 7.5" across at the rim, 4" at the bottoom, and has no markings anywhere. The decorations at the top and bottom appear to be painted onto the surface rather than between layers of glass, and the glass is thicker under both of the painted sections. The middle of the vase has cut-in (polished in?) panels vertically separated by gilded arrows, and the glass on this section is noticeably thinner than the rest. The bottom of the vase is fairly thin, and there is the faint indication of a circle - I can't tell whether it's from a pontil or mold.

I've Googled everything I can think of, and haven't found anything even remotely similar! To me, the painting looks Bavarian or Dresden-ish, but the most similar painted glasswork I've seen is called Bohemian... Any advice would be appreciated!

Sorry for the poor picture quality --

Comments (5)