SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Steam shower worth it for mid size (60x42) shower?

kaysd
12 years ago

I love using the steam showers at the spa on the rare occasions I get to go and wanted to do one in our home, but dismissed the idea due to costs. I am revisiting the idea since I can get a Thermosol generator for a very good price at a going out of business sale. We are putting in a new shower anyway when we re-model the master bath this spring, and our GC estimates it will cost an extra $2200-2500 to make it a steam shower (plus the cost of the generator and controls). So, it is not a cheap idea, but less than it would otherwise cost due to the sale.

We will have a walk-in shower in an alcove that is 60" wide by 42" deep. (We are replacing a tub/shower combo.) There is no way to make the shower larger. There is also no room for a separate tub, so I thought the steam shower might add a bit of luxury/relaxation to compensate for the lack of a tub. (There is a tub in the second bathroom.) The house is in a neighborhood with high housing prices.

Is it worth putting a steam unit in a shower that size? I will not have room for a built-in tiled bench, but would put in a fold-down teak shower seat (probably going to include anyway). The steam shower only needs to seat 1 person as it is primarily for me, and the kids when they are sick. My DH does not care for steam rooms, but might use when he is sick.

Comments (10)