SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

Antique 'Ghost' Photo - mourning, not exactly post mortem

ladynimue
16 years ago

We were on vacation in Texas last week and I did some antique shopping. I always look out for 'affordable' old photos that have names, in the hopes of finding a descendant. So I'm looking through a few piles and find a strange photo postcard.

It shows a seated woman with her elbow leaning at a table and her head resting against that hand. She looks very sad and thoughtful. Above the woman, floating in midair, is the ghostly face of a little girl. Just the face, neck, and a little shoulder (no hair or body).

I've seen the old photos taken of families where they paste in a missing or deceased relative, but I've never heard of this kind of photo. I went ahead and bought it even though there isn't a name, because it's strangely appealing to me (which I guess makes me a little strange ;)

The 'ghostly' girl is obviously pasted into the photo. I'm assuming the little girl died and the mom had this photo staged of herself thinking about and missing her daughter. I'm pretty sure it's a girl because I can see a little of the high collar on her dress and a scarf tied around her neck.

Does anyone know what this type of photo is called? Any history on it? Ever seen one?

I'd do some research myself, but I'm not sure what terms to search with. Using "mourning" or "post mortem" antique photographs doesn't lead me to any photo like this.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022