SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stie9790_gw

Subway Tile Walls/Hex Floor, Wood Baseboards and Chair Rail?

stie9790
14 years ago

Hello

(I think) This is my first post here, so thank you in advance for any advice you can give on this. My wife and I are renovating our 3/4 bath. Currently we are finishing up drywall and taping, etc.

Last weekend, after travelling to 3 different Lowes we were able to find enough boxes of American Olean subway tiles in matching shades of gloss white (different #'s on the boxes resulted in different shades of gloss white). (24 cents per tile)

We also bought the all white matte glazed porcelain Octagon and Dot floor tiles from Lowes ($2.57/sqft)

Anyways, we unfortunately discovered that the shelf rail tiles from AO were out of our price range ($4.50 each!), and because certain pieces for the base cove tile (outside corners specifically) were not available, we held off purchasing them, and simply bought some bullnose 2x6's... Which of course are ALSO not available in outside corners for the Lowes line of these AO tiles.

Sorry for the long background info, here's the real question: Would it look cheap/out of place to use decorative/colonial/victorian wooden baseboard moldings with a wooden chair rail cap and have subway tiles on the wall in between?

Tile Walls, Tile Floors, Wooden Baseboard, Wooden Chair Rail? Is that strange?

Has anyone ever done this or seen this before?

Obviously it's a solution we can afford, so it sounds enticing to me, but I figured I'd ask for the board's opinion first. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Comments (14)