SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikensx

Kitchenaid mixer 550 Professional at Costco DEAD after 2 months

mikensx
13 years ago

After seeing a pasta demo, I bought a new Kitchenaid 550 Professional at Costco. It's the big one with 575 watt motor. It replaces my 25 yo Kitchenaid, made by Hobart, mixer.

Well, it just gave it's all in the line of duty. After only two months, and maybe 6 batches of dough, it's gearbox exploded tonight while kneading dough. It was actually entertaining in a strange sort of way, listening to it clunk and grind as I squeezed the last bit of effort from it's weakened heart as my guests watched on in amazement.

It'll go back to Costco tomorrow, but what's up with this? Are these things junk that they cannot stand up to the task? Is pasta too hard on the poor dear? I mean,, I did spend close to $400 on pasta attachments.. and BOOM. I've read a lot about the kitchen-aid mixers with plastic gears, but I thought this one had tougher metal gears. They sure sounded like metal against metal while in it's death throes.

Has anyone else had bad experiences? Is there another model I should get? This is supposed to be the best heaviest duty mixer Kitchen aid makes. At least none of the metal particles got into the dough, and dinner was a success.

Shame on you Kitchen aid. My Hobart lasted 25 years, and still worked when I gave it away to my sister. This one ground itself to death in two months!

MikeC

Comments (3)