SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sallyjavalon

Washlet story

sallyjavalon
14 years ago

I have finally clued in that "washlets" are the high tech toilets that I first encountered in Japan 10 years ago. I leave to your imagination the first experience of sitting on something that looked like the console from the star ship enterprise, and not being able to read Japanese. I started to push buttons, looking for the flush one. Well.... I wasn't sure how to stop the thing and was beginning to wonder if I had to a forward roll off it to avoid a total soaking down my back. Most bewildering - if not the most startling - was the button that resulted in the sound of flushing but no action. I found out afterwards it was a "modesty" button, to disguise any rude noises made by one with delicate sensibilities!

Fast forward 4 years to a similar encounter in Korean. Now the Koreans in general are a bit more brash than the Japanese, and I could no more read Korean than Japanese. I fumbled and hit the "modesty button".... but instead of the subtle sound of flushing, I was blasted with a full volume version of"Orpheus and the Underworld" aka music for the "Can-Can"!!!! I had a tough time gathering the tattered shreds of my dignity through my hysterical laughter as I had to re-join the group of Korean businessmen I was with, as there was no way I was going to explain the cross cultural humour of that one.

Trauma aside, the idea of a warm seat in a home kept at a nippy 67 degrees F has an awful lot of appeal and "washlet" is on my wish list for the bathroom reno.

By the way, the next generation of "washlets" in Asia can do an instant chemical analysis on the urine, complete with print out! Handy for diabetics and hypochondriacs. Haven't tried that one yet.

Sally

Comments (4)