SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ringo5011

Please help ID this secretary/desk

ringo5011
17 years ago

I recently recieved an old secretary/writing desk from my mother who got it from her grandmother years and years ago. I made a page of pictures you can see by clicking here (opens in a new window). It is solid mahogany, though the backs of all the drawers appear to be a lighter colored wood, perhaps maple. The drawers are all half-blind dovetails, with the exception of the small drawers inside the main compartment. These have through dovetails on the back; however, instead of normal tails on the maple back they appear to be conical in shape, like they were cut with a countersink, if that makes any sense. Hopefully the pictures will make more sense than my words can and I hope this tidbit helps to identify it. Oh, and there is some writing on the back of one of the smaller side drawers. It is in pencil and looks like either 'V.I.G. 1705' or maybe 'V.I. 9 1785' or some combination.

Unfortunately the impetuousness of youth (mine and my two brothers) was enough of a damaging influence to force my mother to have this piece professionally refinished in 1996.

If you're interested in the back story, the great grandmother in question got this piece from one of her admirers back in the day: the story I was told was that she remarked to a man she dated in her more spry years that she really liked it. He said on the spot that he would leave it to her in his will. Lo and behold many many years later a delivery man showed up at her front door with this piece and a bit of bad news concerning a former lover. Her dating years I would put at around 1900-1910 in Italy.

Any ideas you may have are appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

Comment (1)