SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derekgw

Bosch 800 plus dishwasher

Derek87
12 years ago

hi there...i've read with interest many of the archived articles, and yet, i apologize if somehow i have missed the relevant thread.

after years of dealing with a less than optimal GE and washing before we wash, my wife and i have decided it's time to get a better dishwasher with the hopes of saving ourselves some time and disappointment from dishes/pans with food remaining on them in our GE model (which actually wasn't cheap either -- it was the best model the builder offered and retailed at 900-1000, if i recall correctly).

anyway, we are looking at the different 800 plus series models by Bosch with special interest in the built in water softener. our water is pretty hard (8-10 grams/gal) and it's my guess that is partly responsible for our less than optimal results at times (using Trader Joe's detergent, Cascade Advanced, and Finish Powerballs)

my questions are: (hopefully from people who own them)

- how much salt does this thing use? from what i can gather (although Bosch doesn't seem to publish its manuals online), the softener usage depends on water hardness. what i'm interested in figuring out is, if we should use that feature of the 800 plus, how often will we be buying salt (and how much will be paying per wash for that feature to be effective)

- have people used the 800plus with fairly hard water like ours and still had good cleaning results without using the softener? if so, which detergent?

- i'm assuming from what i can gather from Bosch's less than good comparison tool that there really isn't that much difference (beyond sound levels and slightly different energy consumption) between the 3 different 800plus models?

- happy with yours? complaints?

thanks for any thoughts and help.

derek

Comments (19)