SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidiho_gw

John Wayne sketches by E.J. Swindler

heidiho
17 years ago

A friend has a numbered sketch of John Wayne signed by E.J. Swindler. There are 5 different sketches of him on one page and numbered 467 of 1,000. Anyone have any info on this artist. I get a lot of things while searching but don't know his first name and it gets confusing. Thanks so much for your help and have a nice day.

Comments (10)

• caliloo
    17 years ago

If they are numbered 467/1000 or something to that effect, they are not sketches, but lithographs or some other form of print. If it looks like a pencil or charcoal sketch, then I would almost guarantee that it is a litho. The 1000 is the size of the edition (total number of prints of that particular image) and the 467 is the 467th image printed.

I'm not familiar with the artist though, good luck finding more information.

Alexa

• petemich1
    17 years ago

Heidi,

Maybe call the John Wayne Memorial airport and ask if they have a display of John Wayne art. Some smaller airports decorate with nice artwork. Perhaps this artist is on one of the walls with a little plaque talking about the artist/picture. You may get the full name this way.

Or perhaps there is a gift shop ...

The John Wayne airport is in Orange County, CA.

Good luck,

Michele

• boshers
    17 years ago

Mr. Swindler is an elderly man currently teaching art to
    children in Rosehill near Tomball Texas. He is a good artist
    and a fine teacher. Info below:

Students ages 6 and up can learn how to draw from a
    professional art teacher, Mr. E.J. Swindler. He has been
    teaching art to the home school community for over 6 years.
    This class is a self-paced program where each student starts
    out learning how to draw using pencil; then they progress to
    charcoal, pastel, and finally ink. All supplies are provided
    (paper, charcoal, pastels, ink, books, etc.). Locations:
    Rosehill United Methodist Church (2920 and Rosehill Church
    Road; 4 miles west of 249); classes will meet in the
    fellowship hall in the "old" section of the church on the
    left hand side of the street

Cost: $9/student plus a one time $5 supply fee/student/year
    Notice: There will be a limit of 10 students per class.

• richardsonj1_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I taught with EJ in the late 70's to the mid 80's in Clear Lake Texas. He is one of the finest men and teachers I have had the honor to know and teach with. Matter in fact I have # 15 of the litho's of JW. Now that I'm back in Detroit, I was wondering how to contact him. Thank you for the info. He has a funny song he sings in front of the school assembly "Your feets too big" God bless everyone and my your gardens grow well.

• Cindy Ray
    6 years ago

I've recently purchased an original sketch titled Coach. I would like to gather as much information as possible on this, could you assist me ?

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Cindy Ray, the artist's daughter posted that in April 2009, almost 9 years ago. She may not be on this forum anymore, but I'd try a google search on her name.

• HU-300321431
    5 years ago

I had the honor of being coached in the early 80's by who I would still call Coach Swindler. He had a greater impact on who I was and wanted to become than did my own father. He is (was?) truly a great man, and a man of God.....and quite a good artist and art teacher.

• aggieheath2000
    4 years ago

I'm his grandson. You can email me at rswindler84@yahoo.com for more information

• HU-235525967
    last year

We have 6/1000 very honered to own his art. M My uncuncle was John Wayne’s double for 31 years , Chuck Roberson, the orignal ”fall guy”