SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

A must see for those who appreciate antiques

lazypup
12 years ago

Jan and I are annual members and frequent the "Old Sturbridge Village" museum at Old Sturbridge, Mass.

The museum has collected buildings and constructed a working agricultural & light industrial community depicting rural life in New England circa 1763 to 1830. All of the homes and shops are open and they are all furnished in the period with either genuine antiques or in some cases reproductions that were made on site using the original techniques and materials.

In many of the shops, homes and farms they have staff members dressed in the costume of the period and performing the day to day chores as they were originally done.

The museum has working farms where they have livestock, horses, cows, oxen & sheep so they are open year around as they plant, till and harvest crops to feed the animals and raise fruit and produce which is used for cooking demonstrations in the kitchens. In addition, they shear the sheep, process the wool to yarn and actually make many of the clothes that they wear or make finished items that are sold in their gift shop. I am attaching a photo I took of the Tinsmiths shop, where they take flat sheets of tin and make kitchen utensiles, scoops and storage containers of all sorts, reflector ovens to be used in front of an open fireplace to bake cakes and pies and some very ornate candle lanterns. In the photo you can see the tinsmith working at the bench and their are three finished candles lanterns on the bench beside him. He actually makes 10 to 12 of those candle lanterns in a day.

Some people might think the entrance fee is a bit much at $20 per adult, but if you return to the museum a 2nd time within 10 days you get in free.

One the other hand, Jan and I bought a 1 + 1 membership for $80 and with that the person who's name is on the pass may get in and bring a friend as many times as you care to go for a year. We go there about three to four times a month and yet, every time we go it is different because they are doing different things on the farms or have some special demonstration going on. A month ago we saw twin baby lambs less than an hour after they were born.

And for those actually looking to buy real antiques, the surrounding community is a mecca of antique dealers for about 5 miles in any direction.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County