SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Hi folks---long time no see...Van Briggle unicorn?

mahatmacat1
13 years ago

So I'm trying not to buy a whole lot more stuff these days, rather thin out instead of acquire...but you know how it is :) Among other things today, at a charity thrift shop, I got a Van Briggle unicorn figurine...it's in perfect shape, no chips, crazing (does matte glaze craze anyway?)or any other problem. They made/make very strong pieces! What's frustrating is that I can't find *anything* about it. Was definitely mold-made, signed MLP, Hand Decorated in addition to the other usual Van Briggle writing/logo...it's a rearing unicorn in matte white, very sweet with large flowers at its base.

Does anyone have a Van Briggle book and can tell me anything about it? I don't happen to have a book on them. Thanks in advance if anyone can tell me anything about this sweet little guy.

(I'd post a pic but this new computer has a different photo program and I just haven't figured it out yet)

Comments (12)

• lindac
    13 years ago

with Van Briggle, there is no such thing as the "usual marks"
    We need pics!
    And....what else did you buy???

Here is a link that might be useful: van briggle

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Linda,

Well, what I meant by that was a version of the logo and the handwritten "Van Briggle Colo Spgs Colo" that indicate date etc. The MLP supposedly indicates Marge Pope, but the piece is in matte white, so it's before 1968 when she supposedly started using gloss black.

I also bought two weed pots (handthrown, with a chop mark that's there but not as yet identifiable, with exceedingly tiny openings and subtle glazes, but they're not Toshiko Takaezu...need to find out who they are), another really cool signed small pot, haven't traced the sig yet...

I'll take pics and try to post them, but I had loads of trouble just posting the one pic on the baths forum of my bathroom mosaic WIP. It took this old dog a long time to blunder my way through to actually posting something. Maybe tonight I'll try again :) Do you have a Van Briggle book? I've looked everywhere online and can't find a ref to a unicorn -- it's much more detailed than the other animals I've seen, btw.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've found some stallions now, on eBay and elsewhere...the basic pose is like this but instead of the wavecrest underneath it, it's flowers, and the unicorn has a horn (duh :))and a garland of large flower petals around its neck. I *still* am waiting for enough time to photograph this dear thing, but in the meantime, here's a regular old stallion to compare with :)

Here is a link that might be useful: the color is the same, it's just a unicorn with flowers instead

• lkgrace345
    13 years ago

I have the Collector's Encyclopedia of Van Briggle Art Pottery that was published in 1993 and updated in 1995. It has many pictures but after checking through twice, I found no unicorns but I did see the stallion that you've linked. If I were to guess, I would think that your unicorn would have been made in the late 1980's or later. I'd base that guess primarily on the glaze color (if your glaze color closely resembles the stallion's).

For a little further info on the white colored glazes. "Moonglow" was introduced in 1946. "Moonglow" was altered in 1979 to a whiter shade and was still being produced when the book was published. There were two variations, "Moonglow Mist" (1987-1988) which was a white glaze with blue shading and "Iceberg" (1983-1988) that had a similar color format.

Have you considered Photobucket for your pics? I've found it to be very user friendly and I'm technically challenged. :-) I'd particularly like to see pics of the bottom of your unicorn.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, lk! I have my eye on that book and just want to get it at a probably unrealistically low price :)

It's not the online issue with the pics, it's getting them uploaded at all on this new computer. But it's raining cats and dogs today, so I'll probably have some inside time (I was out gardening all day yesterday, literally) to figure this out.

I'll post pics of the bottom too. I really appreciate your help. Is there something specific you're looking for? When did MLP (Marge Pope) work? Is she still working?

• lkgrace345
    13 years ago

flyleft, You're very welcome.

The bottom in several ways will have more clues. For instance: the color, placement & shape of the markings and initials, or glaze. I find no mention of Marge Pope "MLP" in the book so I can't help you with that but then again, I was skimming since I'm short of time today. One thing that you mentioned in your original post that confuses me is "hand decorated". What do you mean by that? Of course, if you get a pic up, that might answer my question.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm trying, lk, trying :)

I found the MLP diagonally written in the top right to denote "Marge Pope", on an online VB marks site. Underneath that is written "hand decorated", which I don't find anywhere online.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

fly - don't know a thing about your Van Briggle unicorn. OT - As for posting pics, someone on Dec. Forum posted about using something called Tinypic.com. No signing up, just upload and post. I hated my photobucket as it became hard to keep photos I didn't want to share private. Couldn't figure that one out so I started to use tinypic. Worked like a charm. HTH

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Argh, *finally* had the time to begin to figure out this new photo program. Here's a link to my flickr file with pics of the dear thing :)

Here is a link that might be useful: side and bottom pics

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone feel like taking a look? Pretty please?

• lindac
    13 years ago

I'm looking....but don't have anything concrete to say....
    I think it's one of the newer glazes. It hi9nk there aren't too many people buying matte glaze pots so they went to white unicorns and horses and the like.
    All I know is older type Van Briggle....and I never say animals in the old ware.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Linda. Wish I had some older type Van Briggle to show you :) but I appreciate your input, even if it is to say that you don't have any input. I do wish the Van Briggle folks would reply to my question. I'll try it again today.